RE: [ANE-2] Qeiyafa inscription 'ALT`S

  • Ariel L. Szczupak
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 2, 2008
      At 09:49 AM 11/2/2008, victor wrote:

      >There may be some ‘al ta`aseh but NOT in the Decalogue! Genesis
      >22:12 which you refer to is not in the Ten Commandments.

      Of course not. We all know the decalogue is in the Jacob & ladder
      story, not the Abraham/Isaac one. [ :) ]

      >BTW, a very quick look at Mandelkern gives me only two more cases:
      >al ta`asu et hannebalah hazot in Judges 19:23 and al ta`aseh et
      >hannebalah hazot in II Sam 13:12. Interesting! (although I’m
      >checking very quickly)

      For ")L T($" I find also Jer 39:12, Jer 40:16, Job 13:20

      For ")L T($W" I find also Gen 19:8, Jer 5:10

      Also ")L Y($W" at Ex 36:6

      And maybe the fancy camera will reveal it's actually ")L T($N" ...

      Ariel.

      ---
      Ariel L. Szczupak
      AMIS-JLM (Ricercar Ltd.)
      POB 4707, Jerusalem, Israel 91406
      Phone: +972-2-5619660 Fax: +972-2-5634203
      ane.als@...
      ---
      http://yvetteszczupakthomas.blogspot.com/
      http://undiamantbrut.blogspot.com/
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 2, 2008
        Ariel,
        Either you are pulling our legs or you have to do some reading of the Hebrew Bible. In the first case nothing to say, in the last case the Decalogue is in Exod 21 and Dtn 5.

        Shouldn't be necessary to say this

        Niels Peter Lemche

        >There may be some ‘al ta`aseh but NOT in the Decalogue! Genesis
        >22:12 which you refer to is not in the Ten Commandments.

        Of course not. We all know the decalogue is in the Jacob & ladder
        story, not the Abraham/Isaac one. [ :) ]

        >BTW, a very quick look at Mandelkern gives me only two more cases:
        >al ta`asu et hannebalah hazot in Judges 19:23 and al ta`aseh et
        >hannebalah hazot in II Sam 13:12. Interesting! (although I’m
        >checking very quickly)
      • victor
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 2, 2008
          I think Ariel is indeed joking after I called him on his first inaccuracy.

          Victor Hurowitz

          BGU

          _____

          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 2, 2008
            Dear Victor

            Let's pray for that!

            Niels Peter Lemche

            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 2, 2008
              At 01:38 PM 11/2/2008, Niels Peter Lemche wrote:

              >Ariel,
              >Either you are pulling our legs or you have to do some reading of
              >the Hebrew Bible. In the first case nothing to say, in the last case
              >the Decalogue is in Exod 21 and Dtn 5.
              >
              >Shouldn't be necessary to say this

              I did put a smiley there ...

              More in general, everyone who has gone through the Israeli education
              system, even in its present sorry state, would know that the
              prohibitive commandments start with "L)" (/lo/), not with ")L" (/al/).

              As for people using translations, it's always a good idea to check
              the Strong numbers of the actual words used in specific passages (and
              there are plenty of web sites which provide those). That would reduce
              confusion between, e.g., ")L" (Strong 408) and "L)" (Strong 3808).

              But I do have to accept blame for not adding a smiley to my last
              sentence in that message, ")L T($N" referring to the well known
              addiction of Iron Age youth, smoking olive pits in bongs. :) <--- smiley.

              >Niels Peter Lemche

              Ariel.

              ---
              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 2, 2008
                I must take issue with Ariel’s comment here about the Israeli school system and the average Israeli’s knowledge of Hebrew. Many years ago I tacked a sign on an office computer reading “Lo tiga` bammahshev!” (Thou shalt not touch the computer!), rather than the expected “al tiga bammahshev”, and wouldn’t you know it if our department secretary didn’t try to correct it. Obviously she is ignorant of the Ten Commandments. Fact of the matter is that prohibitive commands are not expressed with lo but with al. Ariel, do you tell your children “lo tesaheq barehov”, or “al tesaheq barehov”?

                Victor Hurowitz

                BGU

                _____

                At 01:38 PM 11/2/2008, Niels Peter Lemche wrote:

                >Ariel,
                >Either you are pulling our legs or you have to do some reading of
                >the Hebrew Bible. In the first case nothing to say, in the last case
                >the Decalogue is in Exod 21 and Dtn 5.
                >
                >Shouldn't be necessary to say this

                I did put a smiley there ...

                More in general, everyone who has gone through the Israeli education
                system, even in its present sorry state, would know that the
                prohibitive commandments start with "L)" (/lo/), not with ")L" (/al/).

                As for people using translations, it's always a good idea to check
                the Strong numbers of the actual words used in specific passages (and
                there are plenty of web sites which provide those). That would reduce
                confusion between, e.g., ")L" (Strong 408) and "L)" (Strong 3808).

                But I do have to accept blame for not adding a smiley to my last
                sentence in that message, ")L T($N" referring to the well known
                addiction of Iron Age youth, smoking olive pits in bongs. :) <--- smiley.

                >Niels Peter Lemche

                Ariel.

                ---
                Ariel L. Szczupak
                AMIS-JLM (Ricercar Ltd.)
                POB 4707, Jerusalem, Israel 91406
                Phone: +972-2-5619660 Fax: +972-2-5634203
                ane.als@gmail. <mailto:ane.als%40gmail.com> com
                ---
                http://yvetteszczup <http://yvetteszczupakthomas.blogspot.com/> akthomas.blogspot.com/
                http://undiamantbru <http://undiamantbrut.blogspot.com/> t.blogspot.com/

                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 2, 2008
                  Hm, are we not back to the old division in biblical Hebrew between lo' & imperfect and 'al & jussiv? More to it than that? Modern Hebrew usage is probably of no consequence here.

                  Back to old Alt (need a smiley here): lo' & imperfect a categorical demand, "thou shall not etc", 'al & jussiv less categorical: "Please, do not ..." I know that I am back in the Jurasic Park of biblical scholarship.

                  Niels Peter Lemche

                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 2, 2008
                    Nothing wrong with reverting back to old Alt if he has something new to say,
                    or even old that’s right.

                    I wouldn’t venture an opinion on what he says in this particular case
                    because I don’t have his article in front of me, but is it is as you state
                    it, it requires a small bit of modification. Look at Exodus 23:1 and 7 where
                    al is used in negative commands which are certainly categorical. But in
                    these cases the al is a secondary prohibition subsumed under a primary
                    prohibition mentioned right before them which uses lo.

                    Victor

                    BGU

                    _____

                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 2, 2008
                      Victor
                      That is exactly why I was careful to say "a new version"

                      And now the discussion has started raging over lo' (thou shalt not)
                      and 'al (which I had thought implied Please do not or Kindly refrain
                      from in classical usage).

                      I will respond to Yitzhak Sapir tomorrow.

                      Brian
                      1.33 am on Monday 3rd of Novemeber, I think; my luakh says 5 Kheshvan
                      5769

                      Message 10 of 21 , Nov 2, 2008
                        I am quite sure that the Germans were able to get around both cases. The first might be secondary in comparison to the one opening the sentence, the second might not necessarily be understood as categorical.

                        I checked a modern translation:

                        Revised English Bible: You must not spread a baseless rumour, nor make common cause with a wicked man ... 7: Avoid all lies, and do not cause the death of ...

                        V. 8 opens with perhaps a better example.

                        Would have nothing against a modern study of negations. In my time, if we failed to make the distinction between 'al and lo' at the examination, we were dead meat!

                        Niels Peter Lemche

                        Nothing wrong with reverting back to old Alt if he has something new to say,
                        or even old that's right.

                        I wouldn't venture an opinion on what he says in this particular case
                        because I don't have his article in front of me, but is it is as you state
                        it, it requires a small bit of modification. Look at Exodus 23:1 and 7 where
                        al is used in negative commands which are certainly categorical. But in
                        these cases the al is a secondary prohibition subsumed under a primary
                        prohibition mentioned right before them which uses lo.

                        Victor

                        BGU

                        _____
                      • Andrés Piquer Otero
                        Message 11 of 21 , Nov 2, 2008
                          Personally I would reconsider the traditional clause-level theories from
                          a discourse analysis perspective: the two instances of the Decalogues
                          could be analyzed not as Hortative Discourse (command-driven) but as
                          Predictive Discourse (rendering of prospective-future events). That
                          would fit with a 2-mode division (indicative vs. injunctive) akin to
                          proposals applied to the PC in Ugaritic. The Decalogues are not a piece
                          of "injunctive" discourse, but a text in the "indicative mode". Thus,
                          interpretation of lo' + "imperfect" as a categorical demand vs. the
                          default negative command with 'al + jussive is to be contextualized in
                          the form and function of the whole text. These two particular instances
                          of juridical-function discourse use indicative (predictive discourse),
                          as opposed to injunctive. Perhaps that's indeed connected to the
                          "categorical" force of legal language (as attested in the tense use in
                          multiple languages, old and modern), but it is created by the context
                          usage in a text-type, not by the existence of yet another category of
                          single-sentence construction (we already see enough of those in
                          classical Hebrew grammars). In the Decalogues, it is remarkable that the
                          few positive commands are problematic: kabbed supports an infinitive
                          reading besides the imp. one and zakor is vocalized as infinitive, so
                          also in the positive commands the imperative form (injunctive mode)
                          could be missing. Further research could focus on this context-based
                          line in other instances of legal texts presented from injuctive vs.
                          indicative modes.

                          Andrés Piquer Otero

                          Niels Peter Lemche wrote:

                          > Hm, are we not back to the old division in biblical Hebrew between lo'
                          > & imperfect and 'al & jussiv? More to it than that? Modern Hebrew
                          > usage is probably of no consequence here.
                          >
                          > Back to old Alt (need a smiley here): lo' & imperfect a categorical
                          > demand, "thou shall not etc", 'al & jussiv less categorical: "Please,
                          > do not ..." I know that I am back in the Jurasic Park of biblical
                          > scholarship.
                          >
                          > Niels Peter Lemche
                          >
                          > -----

                        • Ariel L. Szczupak
                          Message 12 of 21 , Nov 2, 2008
                            At 02:10 PM 11/2/2008, victor wrote:

                            >I must take issue with Ariel’s comment here about the Israeli
                            >school system and the average Israeli’s knowledge of Hebrew.

                            I was referring to the (tiny) knowledge of the Bible and of Biblical
                            Hebrew. But the decalogue is a memorable piece of literature, partly
                            because of its phrasing. Most Israelis would know, remember, that the
                            bible says "lo tirtsah" (and not "al tirtsah") - that's my impression
                            and personal experience. Maybe I'm wrong and they wouldn't know even that :(

                            Ariel.

                            ---