Re: [ANE-2] Golan trial

  • David Hall
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 1, 2008
      Golan took a real ossuary from circa first century times and added to an existing inscription and sold it for a great price as it was suggested to be the bone box of Jesus of Nazareth.  It was suggested by some that this was proof of the book "The De Vinci Code."  The publisher was selling the De Vivci Code novel as fiction.  Not all were able to distinguish fact from fiction.  Hershel Shank's magazine "Biblical Archaeology Review" was promoting it as a genuine antiquity.  He also had published lead stories about the ivory pomegranate scepter that was on display in Washington D.C. during the 90's.  I cannot recall the exact measurements, only that it was a very small piece of ivory and also a lead story about the Jehoash tablet splattered with gold.  By that time Golan was rich and famous having claimed to have found the box Jesus bones were placed in and an inscription from Solomon's temple.  Since then he has been arrested with
      probable cause and is infamous throughout the world.  While many exalted the wicked the righteous were proven right.

      David Q. Hall

      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 1, 2008
        I can only again cite the Haaretz article.

        My mind has lost some of the facts of the case over time.  I have been known to have incorrect memory recall.  Was the James the brother of Jesus Ossuary from the shop of a man who trafficked in forged antiquities?

        I do not believe you never wavered and knew all, anymore than I believe myself to be infallible.  Did you not have transcripts from the court proceedings?  Perhaps more will be revealed later.

        David Q. Hall

        David Q. Hall

        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 2, 2008
          David Q. Hall wrote that the Ha'aretz article ("The art of authentic
          forgery" by Nadav Shragai) was "updated August 23, 2008".
          However, the article at http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/974483.html
          notes "Last update - 23:08 14/04/2008", that is, at 11:08 p.m. on April 14,
          2008.
          Joseph I. Lauer
          Brooklyn, New York
        • Joe Zias
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 2, 2008
            The James, son of Yosef, brother of Jesus ossuary was not in the shop
            of Deutsch but was found 'sitting on the throne' at Oded Golans
            residence where it was accidentally discovered by the IAA. For a photo
            of the 'throne' go to www.joezias.com and one can see it sitting there
            where it was found. According to the Egyptian who worked for Golan, the
            one outed by 60 minutes, he cleaned  it there as Golans dog was peeing
            on it' (Burleighs "Unholy Business p. 208) whereas Golan claimed that
            his mother had cleaned it. What I find absurd about this is SJ's remark
            when his doc. was shown here in Jrsm that we in the profession did not
            accept the ossuary as we were in fact showing an 'anti-Christian bias'
            and then the Egyptian reported that Golans dawg was peeing on it all
            the time. Anything for a buck and then they come out with the Talpiot
            tomb after accusing us of having a anti-Christian bias.

            Meanwhile the trial goes on....

            Joe

            Joe Zias www.joezias.com
            Anthropology/Paleopathology

            Science and Antiquity Group - Jerusalem
            Jerusalem, Israel

            From: Jack Kilmon <jkilmon@historian. net>

            To: ANE-2@yahoogroups. com

            > The ossuary was inscribed in two different calligraphy styles. It was

            > written by two different hands.

            > Geologist Goren concluded that the ossuary was first cleaned and then a

            > fake patina was added as there were traces of the cleaner under the

            > patina.

            > http://www.davidrow an.com/2005/ 05/is-oded- golan-behind- biblical. html

            > If you rub dirt on an object, you might later find the dirt on the object

            > is real containing ancient foraminifera, the dirt is authentic and old,

            > and may guess the dirty object must be authentic, but it is difficult to

            > prove when the dirt was added. The appearance of natural chemical and

            > physical weathering may have been duplicated by artificial means.

            > If you hold a silver coin over a flame of combusted sulphur the coin will

            > become tarnished and appear old.

            > One year I was walking through the Souk of Old Jerusalem in the vicinity

            > of Muristan and saw a basket full of Roman type oil lamps of all the exact

            > same shape and color being sold as replicas. They were not the usual

            > smooth terra cotta replicas, but were crusty in appearance as if they had

            > been buried for years.

            > Sincerely:

            > David Q. Hall

            > dqhall59@yahoo. com

            > --- On Fri, 10/31/08, Jack Kilmon <jkilmon@historian. net> wrote:

            > From: Jack Kilmon <jkilmon@historian. net>

            > Subject: Re: [ANE-2] Golan trial

            > To: ANE-2@yahoogroups. com

            > Date: Friday, October 31, 2008, 1:21 PM

          • Jack Kilmon
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 2, 2008
              > Golan took a real ossuary from circa first century times and added to an
              > existing inscription and sold it for a great price as it was suggested to
              > be the bone box of Jesus of Nazareth.

              Except that there is no conclusive evidence for this and very competent
              paleographers, like Lemaire, disputeit AND there is ancient patina in the
              part being claimed was added a few years ago.

              > It was suggested by some that this was proof of the book "The De Vinci
              > Code." The publisher was selling the De Vivci Code novel as fiction. Not
              > all were able to distinguish fact from fiction.

              The Da Vinci code was the greatest hoax of the century. Pure nonsense sold
              as a "novel" with a knowing wink to the gullible.

              > Hershel Shank's magazine "Biblical Archaeology Review" was promoting it as
              > a genuine antiquity.

              It is a genuine atinquity. No one disputes that.

              >He also had published lead stories about the ivory pomegranate scepter that
              >was on display in Washington D.C. during the 90's.

              Yes, I remember. The pomegranate is also not conclusively a forgery.

              >I cannot recall the exact measurements, only that it was a very small piece
              >of ivory and also a lead story about the Jehoash tablet splattered with
              >gold. By that time Golan was rich and famous having claimed to have found
              >the box Jesus bones were placed in and an inscription from Solomon's
              >temple. Since then he has been arrested with
              > probable cause and is infamous throughout the world. While many exalted
              > the wicked the righteous were proven right.

              I think the pomegranate is authentic. The yod of BEYT definitely goes nto
              the break as does the right tip of the tov and the left tip is, IMO,
              malformed by the bulge which is an anomaly caused by its breakage, perhaps
              the scepter being smahed against a wall. That is a possible scenario, the
              point being it is not conclusively a forgery.

              I know that the leadership and members of the IAA are enraged by hoaxes,
              hustlers, hucksters, "Ark quests," either box or boat, the trade in
              authentic artifacts and, rightfully, forged artifacts. In many ways it is a
              political problem because very poor people desiring to feed their families,
              can practically dig in their back yards and find items that are marketable
              to dealers. Every once in a while someone will find an important artifact,
              accidentally or by digging. Then there are the industrial looters who can
              also find important artifacts and these find their way unprovenanced intothe
              black market or unprincipled dealers. And, of course, there are the
              forgers.

              I am not one who believes forgery has become so sophisticated to go
              undetected by competent analysts who would only take the trouble and expense
              to examine artifacts of import to begin with. I have no sympathy for
              tourists who purchase artifacts from other than unlicensed dealers. They
              can take home their forty dollar Herodian lamps that were fired in a kiln
              only yesterday. I am not smart enough to figure out a way to deal with the
              larger political picture or how to close down the forgers of the "big
              stuff." I just think the IAA with its over-zealotry is not the answer.

              In 2004 Hanan Eshel was summoned to meet an Arab who had found a "Dead Sea
              Scroll" and he was able to rescue it in time for $3,000.00 supplied by
              Bar-Ilan University. He turned it over to the IAA and someone was moronic
              enough to have him arrested and charged. That is when I lost all respect
              for the IAA and its methods.

              I don't know where the answers lie but Israel is a very small country with a
              very large resource in intellect....I could rattle them off from Avigad to
              Zias.

              I am but an amateur but not half bad as a Semitist and paleographer andnot
              easilt fooled by journalistic of magazine hype. I just do not think the
              problem is being addressed appropriately.

              Jack

              Jack Kilmon
              San Antonio, TX

              > David Q. Hall

            • Jack Kilmon
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 2, 2008
                Joe, it's simple. No good science...no believable authentication or
                inauthentication can ever take place in a whirling maelstrom of hucksters
                and hustlers, religious, political and scholarly agendas or journalistic
                quests for publication dollars. This artifact, if genuine, will mean
                nothing now. If "jimmied" will still mean nothing. They need to take the
                durn thing and put it on the warehouse shelf and take the vast amount of
                money being spent and give it to the various dig directors who need help.

                Jack

                Jack Kilmon
                San Antonio, TX

                > The James, son of Yosef, brother of Jesus ossuary was not in the shop
                > of Deutsch but was found 'sitting on the throne' at Oded Golans
                > residence where it was accidentally discovered by the IAA. For a photo
                > of the 'throne' go to www.joezias.com and one can see it sitting there
                > where it was found. According to the Egyptian who worked for Golan, the
                > one outed by 60 minutes, he cleaned it there as Golans dog was peeing
                > on it' (Burleighs "Unholy Business p. 208) whereas Golan claimed that
                > his mother had cleaned it. What I find absurd about this is SJ's remark
                > when his doc. was shown here in Jrsm that we in the profession did not
                > accept the ossuary as we were in fact showing an 'anti-Christian bias'
                > and then the Egyptian reported that Golans dawg was peeing on it all
                > the time. Anything for a buck and then they come out with the Talpiot
                > tomb after accusing us of having a anti-Christian bias.
                >
                > Meanwhile the trial goes on....
                >
                > Joe
                >

                > Joe Zias www.joezias.com
                > Anthropology/Paleopathology
                >
                > Science and Antiquity Group - Jerusalem
                > Jerusalem, Israel

              • Joseph I. Lauer
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 2, 2008
                  The Jerusalem Post Online Edition has just released an article headlined
                  "Justice Ministry to decide on 'Jesus ossuary'". It begins: "The Justice
                  Ministry has been given six months to decide how to proceed in the trial of
                  an antiquities dealer suspected of forging a purported reference to Jesus on
                  an ancient burial box and a stone tablet with biblical passages. Both items
                  were hailed as major archaeological finds but subsequently deemed clever
                  forgeries. The ministry has been forced to reevaluate the case after the
                  Jerusalem District Court judge in the case advised the prosecution to
                  reassess its position in the three-year-old trial because it failed to prove
                  that the key suspect, Tel Aviv antiquities collector Oded Golan, had indeed
                  faked the biblical-era artifacts."
                  The article may be read at
                  http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1225199631832&pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull
                  or
                  http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull&cid=1225199631832
                  Joseph I. Lauer
                  Brooklyn, New York

                  Moderator's note: it is helpful to simplify complex URLs with TinyURL. The web site is:

                  <http://tinyurl.com>

                  MC