Re: [ANE-2] Golan trial

  • David Hall
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 1, 2008
      The ossuary was inscribed in two different calligraphy styles.  It was written by two different hands.

      Geologist Goren concluded that the ossuary was first cleaned and then a fake patina was added as there were traces of the cleaner under the patina.

      http://www.davidrowan.com/2005/05/is-oded-golan-behind-biblical.html

      If you rub dirt on an object, you might later find the dirt on the object is real containing ancient foraminifera, the dirt is authentic and old, and may guess the dirty object must be authentic, but it is difficult to prove when the dirt was added.  The appearance of natural chemical and physical weathering may have been duplicated by artificial means.

      If you hold a silver coin over a flame of combusted sulphur the coin will become tarnished and appear old.

      One year I was walking through the Souk of Old Jerusalem in the vicinity of Muristan and saw a basket full of Roman type oil lamps of all the exact same shape and color being sold as replicas.  They were not the usual smooth terra cotta replicas, but were crusty in appearance as if they had been buried for years.

      Sincerely:

      David Q. Hall
      dqhall59@...

      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 1, 2008
        There is no convincing evidence that the inscription is in two different
        hands. There is no variation between scripts outside of the range of
        variancein letters for a scribe working in stone rather than on skin,
        particularly this type of stone that has variable substrate anomalies. I
        see even wider varianceon a few hundred other ossuarialinscriptions, all
        done by single inscribers, both literate and illiterate.

        The "shake and bake" method of faking patina cannot possibly fool a
        competent analyst.

        My position has never waivered for 6 years. If there is genuinely ancient
        patina in the insciption itself, the inscription is genuine, regardless of
        an idiotic attempt to clean it and its abuse by the morons in whose hands
        the box fell. . That simple.

        Jack Kilmon

        > The ossuary was inscribed in two different calligraphy styles. It was
        > written by two different hands.
        >
        > Geologist Goren concluded that the ossuary was first cleaned and then a
        > fake patina was added as there were traces of the cleaner under the
        > patina.
        >
        > http://www.davidrowan.com/2005/05/is-oded-golan-behind-biblical.html
        >
        > If you rub dirt on an object, you might later find the dirt on the object
        > is real containing ancient foraminifera, the dirt is authentic and old,
        > and may guess the dirty object must be authentic, but it is difficult to
        > prove when the dirt was added. The appearance of natural chemical and
        > physical weathering may have been duplicated by artificial means.
        >
        > If you hold a silver coin over a flame of combusted sulphur the coin will
        > become tarnished and appear old.
        >
        > One year I was walking through the Souk of Old Jerusalem in the vicinity
        > of Muristan and saw a basket full of Roman type oil lamps of all the exact
        > same shape and color being sold as replicas. They were not the usual
        > smooth terra cotta replicas, but were crusty in appearance as if they had
        > been buried for years.
        >

        > Sincerely:
        >
        > David Q. Hall
        > dqhall59@...

      • David Hall
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 1, 2008
          Golan took a real ossuary from circa first century times and added to an existing inscription and sold it for a great price as it was suggested to be the bone box of Jesus of Nazareth.  It was suggested by some that this was proof of the book "The De Vinci Code."  The publisher was selling the De Vivci Code novel as fiction.  Not all were able to distinguish fact from fiction.  Hershel Shank's magazine "Biblical Archaeology Review" was promoting it as a genuine antiquity.  He also had published lead stories about the ivory pomegranate scepter that was on display in Washington D.C. during the 90's.  I cannot recall the exact measurements, only that it was a very small piece of ivory and also a lead story about the Jehoash tablet splattered with gold.  By that time Golan was rich and famous having claimed to have found the box Jesus bones were placed in and an inscription from Solomon's temple.  Since then he has been arrested with
          probable cause and is infamous throughout the world.  While many exalted the wicked the righteous were proven right.

          David Q. Hall

          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 1, 2008
            I can only again cite the Haaretz article.

            My mind has lost some of the facts of the case over time.  I have been known to have incorrect memory recall.  Was the James the brother of Jesus Ossuary from the shop of a man who trafficked in forged antiquities?

            I do not believe you never wavered and knew all, anymore than I believe myself to be infallible.  Did you not have transcripts from the court proceedings?  Perhaps more will be revealed later.

            David Q. Hall

            David Q. Hall

            > The ossuary was inscribed in two different calligraphy styles. It was
            > written by two different hands.
            >
            > Geologist Goren concluded that the ossuary was first cleaned and then a
            > fake patina was added as there were traces of the cleaner under the
            > patina.
            >
            > http://www.davidrow an.com/2005/ 05/is-oded- golan-behind- biblical. html
            >
            > If you rub dirt on an object, you might later find the dirt on the object
            > is real containing ancient foraminifera, the dirt is authentic and old,
            > and may guess the dirty object must be authentic, but it is difficult to
            > prove when the dirt was added. The appearance of natural chemical and
            > physical weathering may have been duplicated by artificial means.
            >
            > If you hold a silver coin over a flame of combusted sulphur the coin will
            > become tarnished and appear old.
            >
            > One year I was walking through the Souk of Old Jerusalem in the vicinity
            > of Muristan and saw a basket full of Roman type oil lamps of all the exact
            > same shape and color being sold as replicas. They were not the usual
            > smooth terra cotta replicas, but were crusty in appearance as if they had
            > been buried for years.
            >

            > Sincerely:
            >
            > David Q. Hall
            > dqhall59@yahoo. com

          • Joseph I. Lauer
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 2, 2008
              David Q. Hall wrote that the Ha'aretz article ("The art of authentic
              forgery" by Nadav Shragai) was "updated August 23, 2008".
              However, the article at http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/974483.html
              notes "Last update - 23:08 14/04/2008", that is, at 11:08 p.m. on April 14,
              2008.
              Joseph I. Lauer
              Brooklyn, New York
            • Joe Zias
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 2, 2008
                The James, son of Yosef, brother of Jesus ossuary was not in the shop
                of Deutsch but was found 'sitting on the throne' at Oded Golans
                residence where it was accidentally discovered by the IAA. For a photo
                of the 'throne' go to www.joezias.com and one can see it sitting there
                where it was found. According to the Egyptian who worked for Golan, the
                one outed by 60 minutes, he cleaned  it there as Golans dog was peeing
                on it' (Burleighs "Unholy Business p. 208) whereas Golan claimed that
                his mother had cleaned it. What I find absurd about this is SJ's remark
                when his doc. was shown here in Jrsm that we in the profession did not
                accept the ossuary as we were in fact showing an 'anti-Christian bias'
                and then the Egyptian reported that Golans dawg was peeing on it all
                the time. Anything for a buck and then they come out with the Talpiot
                tomb after accusing us of having a anti-Christian bias.

                Meanwhile the trial goes on....

                Joe

                Joe Zias www.joezias.com
                Anthropology/Paleopathology

                Science and Antiquity Group - Jerusalem
                Jerusalem, Israel

                From: Jack Kilmon <jkilmon@historian. net>

                To: ANE-2@yahoogroups. com

                > The ossuary was inscribed in two different calligraphy styles. It was

                > written by two different hands.

                > Geologist Goren concluded that the ossuary was first cleaned and then a

                > fake patina was added as there were traces of the cleaner under the

                > patina.

                > http://www.davidrow an.com/2005/ 05/is-oded- golan-behind- biblical. html

                > If you rub dirt on an object, you might later find the dirt on the object

                > is real containing ancient foraminifera, the dirt is authentic and old,

                > and may guess the dirty object must be authentic, but it is difficult to

                > prove when the dirt was added. The appearance of natural chemical and

                > physical weathering may have been duplicated by artificial means.

                > If you hold a silver coin over a flame of combusted sulphur the coin will

                > become tarnished and appear old.

                > One year I was walking through the Souk of Old Jerusalem in the vicinity

                > of Muristan and saw a basket full of Roman type oil lamps of all the exact

                > same shape and color being sold as replicas. They were not the usual

                > smooth terra cotta replicas, but were crusty in appearance as if they had

                > been buried for years.

                > Sincerely:

                > David Q. Hall

                > dqhall59@yahoo. com

                > --- On Fri, 10/31/08, Jack Kilmon <jkilmon@historian. net> wrote:

                > From: Jack Kilmon <jkilmon@historian. net>

                > Subject: Re: [ANE-2] Golan trial

                > To: ANE-2@yahoogroups. com

                > Date: Friday, October 31, 2008, 1:21 PM

              • Jack Kilmon
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 2, 2008
                  > Golan took a real ossuary from circa first century times and added to an
                  > existing inscription and sold it for a great price as it was suggested to
                  > be the bone box of Jesus of Nazareth.

                  Except that there is no conclusive evidence for this and very competent
                  paleographers, like Lemaire, disputeit AND there is ancient patina in the
                  part being claimed was added a few years ago.

                  > It was suggested by some that this was proof of the book "The De Vinci
                  > Code." The publisher was selling the De Vivci Code novel as fiction. Not
                  > all were able to distinguish fact from fiction.

                  The Da Vinci code was the greatest hoax of the century. Pure nonsense sold
                  as a "novel" with a knowing wink to the gullible.

                  > Hershel Shank's magazine "Biblical Archaeology Review" was promoting it as
                  > a genuine antiquity.

                  It is a genuine atinquity. No one disputes that.

                  >He also had published lead stories about the ivory pomegranate scepter that
                  >was on display in Washington D.C. during the 90's.

                  Yes, I remember. The pomegranate is also not conclusively a forgery.

                  >I cannot recall the exact measurements, only that it was a very small piece
                  >of ivory and also a lead story about the Jehoash tablet splattered with
                  >gold. By that time Golan was rich and famous having claimed to have found
                  >the box Jesus bones were placed in and an inscription from Solomon's
                  >temple. Since then he has been arrested with
                  > probable cause and is infamous throughout the world. While many exalted
                  > the wicked the righteous were proven right.

                  I think the pomegranate is authentic. The yod of BEYT definitely goes nto
                  the break as does the right tip of the tov and the left tip is, IMO,
                  malformed by the bulge which is an anomaly caused by its breakage, perhaps
                  the scepter being smahed against a wall. That is a possible scenario, the
                  point being it is not conclusively a forgery.

                  I know that the leadership and members of the IAA are enraged by hoaxes,
                  hustlers, hucksters, "Ark quests," either box or boat, the trade in
                  authentic artifacts and, rightfully, forged artifacts. In many ways it is a
                  political problem because very poor people desiring to feed their families,
                  can practically dig in their back yards and find items that are marketable
                  to dealers. Every once in a while someone will find an important artifact,
                  accidentally or by digging. Then there are the industrial looters who can
                  also find important artifacts and these find their way unprovenanced intothe
                  black market or unprincipled dealers. And, of course, there are the
                  forgers.

                  I am not one who believes forgery has become so sophisticated to go
                  undetected by competent analysts who would only take the trouble and expense
                  to examine artifacts of import to begin with. I have no sympathy for
                  tourists who purchase artifacts from other than unlicensed dealers. They
                  can take home their forty dollar Herodian lamps that were fired in a kiln
                  only yesterday. I am not smart enough to figure out a way to deal with the
                  larger political picture or how to close down the forgers of the "big
                  stuff." I just think the IAA with its over-zealotry is not the answer.

                  In 2004 Hanan Eshel was summoned to meet an Arab who had found a "Dead Sea
                  Scroll" and he was able to rescue it in time for $3,000.00 supplied by
                  Bar-Ilan University. He turned it over to the IAA and someone was moronic
                  enough to have him arrested and charged. That is when I lost all respect
                  for the IAA and its methods.

                  I don't know where the answers lie but Israel is a very small country with a
                  very large resource in intellect....I could rattle them off from Avigad to
                  Zias.

                  I am but an amateur but not half bad as a Semitist and paleographer andnot
                  easilt fooled by journalistic of magazine hype. I just do not think the
                  problem is being addressed appropriately.

                  Jack

                  Jack Kilmon
                  San Antonio, TX

                  > David Q. Hall

                • Jack Kilmon
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 2, 2008
                    Joe, it's simple. No good science...no believable authentication or
                    inauthentication can ever take place in a whirling maelstrom of hucksters
                    and hustlers, religious, political and scholarly agendas or journalistic
                    quests for publication dollars. This artifact, if genuine, will mean
                    nothing now. If "jimmied" will still mean nothing. They need to take the
                    durn thing and put it on the warehouse shelf and take the vast amount of
                    money being spent and give it to the various dig directors who need help.

                    Jack

                    Jack Kilmon
                    San Antonio, TX

                    > The James, son of Yosef, brother of Jesus ossuary was not in the shop
                    > of Deutsch but was found 'sitting on the throne' at Oded Golans
                    > residence where it was accidentally discovered by the IAA. For a photo
                    > of the 'throne' go to www.joezias.com and one can see it sitting there
                    > where it was found. According to the Egyptian who worked for Golan, the
                    > one outed by 60 minutes, he cleaned it there as Golans dog was peeing
                    > on it' (Burleighs "Unholy Business p. 208) whereas Golan claimed that
                    > his mother had cleaned it. What I find absurd about this is SJ's remark
                    > when his doc. was shown here in Jrsm that we in the profession did not
                    > accept the ossuary as we were in fact showing an 'anti-Christian bias'
                    > and then the Egyptian reported that Golans dawg was peeing on it all
                    > the time. Anything for a buck and then they come out with the Talpiot
                    > tomb after accusing us of having a anti-Christian bias.
                    >
                    > Meanwhile the trial goes on....
                    >
                    > Joe
                    >

                    > Joe Zias www.joezias.com
                    > Anthropology/Paleopathology
                    >
                    > Science and Antiquity Group - Jerusalem
                    > Jerusalem, Israel

                  • Joseph I. Lauer
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 2, 2008
                      The Jerusalem Post Online Edition has just released an article headlined
                      "Justice Ministry to decide on 'Jesus ossuary'". It begins: "The Justice
                      Ministry has been given six months to decide how to proceed in the trial of
                      an antiquities dealer suspected of forging a purported reference to Jesus on
                      an ancient burial box and a stone tablet with biblical passages. Both items
                      were hailed as major archaeological finds but subsequently deemed clever
                      forgeries. The ministry has been forced to reevaluate the case after the
                      Jerusalem District Court judge in the case advised the prosecution to
                      reassess its position in the three-year-old trial because it failed to prove
                      that the key suspect, Tel Aviv antiquities collector Oded Golan, had indeed
                      faked the biblical-era artifacts."
                      The article may be read at
                      http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1225199631832&pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull
                      or
                      http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull&cid=1225199631832
                      Joseph I. Lauer
                      Brooklyn, New York

                      Moderator's note: it is helpful to simplify complex URLs with TinyURL. The web site is:

                      <http://tinyurl.com>

                      MC