Re: [ANE-2] Proto-Canaanite Hebrew Ostracon from Khirbet Qeiyafah

  • Yitzhak Sapir
    Message 1 of 31 , Oct 30, 2008
      Well, some of the finds received publication today in a book that
      accompanied the
      conference at Hebrew Univ today from where all these press releases
      came. Evidently,
      the press releases were held off until the conference.

      Haggai Misgav called it Proto-Canaanite. The ostracon was displayed
      during a short
      discussion of his, and he was only willing to commit to a handful of
      words until he receives
      better photographs.

      Some photos from various news sites:
      http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/10/30/article-0-024BD48F000005DC-794_468x310_popup.jpg
      http://www.foxnews.com/images/459004/1_21_canaanite_shard_vert.jpg
      http://uk.reuters.com/resources/r/?m=02&d=20081030&t=2&i=6601173&w=450&r=2008-10-30T174953Z_01_BTRE49T1DJA00_RTROPTP_0_ISRAEL-ARCHAEOLOGY
      http://www.ynet.co.il/PicServer2/28102008/1684178/laron_wa.jpg

      Was the mentioned lecture of Peter T. Daniels about Canaanite published?

      Yitzhak Sapir
    • Jack Kilmon
      Message 31 of 31 , Nov 4, 2008
        Pardon my snipping this long archive but I don't want Jim beating my head
        softer than it is. Like all of you, I am fascinated by this ostracon and
        never pass up a chance to comment on ancient Semitic epigraphy. I am
        familiar with many of the inscriptions before and after this one but my
        problem is I just have not seen this one. I have seen the journalistic
        shots that show some faint scripts. Perhaps someone has a good
        representation of this shard? If not, I will go against all of my
        propensities and keep my mouth...er...my fingers still.

        Regards,

        Jack

        Jack Kilmon
        San Antonio, TX