the 'archer seal from Jerusalem'

  • Jim West
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 30, 2008
      Here's what Robert Deutsch has noted in comments (here --
      http://jwest.wordpress.com/2008/10/30/another-seal-discovery/#comment-7459
      ):

      "Seal from Jerusalem ?
      The seal looks fake.
      The iconography looks like taken from the double
      walking archers depicted on the Lachish reliefs.

      Look at the double quivers on the seal: it should belong to two archers.

      Moreover, the script looks clumsy.

      One has to check if it is not a forgery planted at the site."

      Perhaps he's right.

      --
      ++++++

      Jim West, ThD

      http://jwest.wordpress.com - Blog
      http://sites.google.com/site/biblicalstudiesresources/ - Biblical Studies Resources
    • arenmaeir
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 30, 2008
        Re the message regarding the possibility that the new seal from
        jerusalem is a forgery, what can I say, for some reason this reminds me
        of an old Talmudic dictum: "Haposel, bemumo posel" (roughly
        translated: "He who disqualified, on his own blemish disqualifies" and
        meaning: "He who charges others, may be charging them with his own
        defects")...

        Aren Maeir
        gath.wordpress.com
      • Sam WOLFF
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 2 8:16 AM
          I understand, but have not personally verified it, that Atiqot (forthcoming) will have an article by B. Sass and T. Ornan on the seal in question along with an article by Y. Goren on its provenience. After having heard Ornan last Thursday, there is no doubt that they will argue that it is authentic.

          Sam Wolff

        • Joseph I. Lauer
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 2 9:38 AM
            Regarding the Archer Seal, Dr. West previously noted the URL for the
            press release at the Israel Ministry of Foreign Affairs site.
            The IAA's URLs for the release are
            http://www.israntique.org.il/article_Item_eng.asp?sec_id=25&subj_id=240&id=1442&module_id=#as
            [English]
            http://www.israntique.org.il/article_Item_ido.asp?sec_id=25&subj_id=240&id=1440&module_id=#as
            [Hebrew]
            A link to the IAA's ZIP files of a picture of "The seventh century BCE
            seal uncovered in the excavations" and a "Picture of seventh century BCE
            building in which the seal was found" is at
            http://www.antiquities.org.il/images/press/iaa_30_10_08.zip
            These pictures are enlargeable when opened and viewed in the Windows
            Picture and Fax Viewer.
            Joseph I. Lauer
            Brooklyn, New York