Re: [ANE-2] Re: [biblical-studies] more misinformation published about Qumran

  • David Hall
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 22, 2008
      Free standing aqueduct?

      There is a difference between an aqueduct built to at ground level or above ground and a subsurface aqueduct such as might be seen at the Valley of the Springs near Emmaus (Canada Park) where the aqueduct is several feet below ground in parts of the upper valley, or portions of the water system at Banias/Caesarea Philippi in Agrippa's palace where the water channel was below ground and covered by pavers in the entrance hall.  I do not think that it is an earth shattering discovery to be able to describe an aqueduct that might have been built at the ground level with edges above ground, not to be free standing.  The current exhibit may have been after excavation and may not include all the original stones..  As if one were expecting a triple level aqueduct bridge over a valley to be the true definition of free standing.  Seems to be an arguement of semantics, perhaps overmeticulous.  Not enough to reverse all that has been published about
      the site.

      David Q. Hall
      dqhall59@...