Re: [ANE-2] A fragment with an inscription: Son of the High Priest

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 7, 2008
      That Gimel looks somewhat like one I have seen in earlier Qumran texts like
      4QDaniel (125ishBCE) but it also looks very "Greeky" to me as is the
      architecture of the sarc lid. Although I am weighing in for a 125-100 BCE
      date I would not be surprised if it goes back further, perhaps to the
      Hellenistic period. I am curious about the serifs though, Jim, which I
      usually attribute to late Hasmonean and I have seen similar on ossuarial
      inscriptions, Rahmani #75 for example.

      Jack

      Jack Kilmon
      San Antonio, TX

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 7, 2008
        It was neither a typo nor intended to express an opinion. It is probably just a mistake on my part, although it could, as far as my limited understanding goes, be dated to either 1st century.  Sorry.

        Eliot Braun, Ph D

        PO Box 21, Har Adar 90836 Israel

        Tel 972-2-5345687, Cell 972-50-2231096

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 7, 2008
          The tomb of the high priest Caiphas was found in Peace Forest below the Haas Promenade.  The Caiphas ossuary contained some very detailed geometric carvings resembling pinwheels or flowers.  There were 12 ossuaries found in the tomb.

          A partial list of High Priests:

          Simeon a.k.a. Boethus (22-5 B.C.)
          Mattaiah Ben Theophilus (5-4 B.C.)
          Joazar (4 B.C.)

          Annas (6-15 A.D.)
          Caiphas (18-37 A.D.)

          Theophilus (37 A.D.)

          One of two Sadducean High Priests -- Ishmael Ben Phiabi II (up to 62 A.D.)

          Joshua Ben Gamaliel (63-65 A.D.)
          Matthias (65 A.D.)

          after J. Joachim et al.

          David Q. Hall
          dqhall59@...

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 7, 2008
            The Jerusalem Post has a link to a two-minute IBA video about the
            discovery of the "remnant of a covering of a sarcophagus" with the
            (translated) inscription "son of the High Priest".
            The narrator mentions the belief that the High Priest officiated at the
            Temple between the years 30 and 70 CE.
            The video is entitled "Archaeological dig reveals big find" and
            sub-captioned "Jerusalem unveils 2nd Temple fragment with inscription 'Son
            of High Priest'."
            The video's long URL is:
            http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=JPost/Page/VideoPlayer&cid=1194419829128&videoId=1222017491590
            It appears (at least to me) from a side view of the inscribed cover in
            the video that the reading is "ben" and that it is not the end of a name, as
            there is room for a letter or letters after the break in the stone.
            Joseph I. Lauer
            Brooklyn, New York