ANE-2 Archives ?

  • walter mattfeld
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 15, 2006
      I would like to know what Yahoo's policy is on the "archiving" of its lists.
      Is there a "limit" on the archival space ? If the list should fold (heaven
      forbid!) is its archive erased or preserved ?

      Regards, Walter
      Walter Reinhold Warttig Mattfeld y de la Torre, M.A. Ed.
      mattfeld12@...
      www.bibleorigins.net
    • Jeffrey B. Gibson
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 15, 2006
        walter mattfeld wrote:

        > I would like to know what Yahoo's policy is on the "archiving" of its lists.
        > Is there a "limit" on the archival space ? If the list should fold (heaven
        > forbid!) is its archive erased or preserved ?

        Though there is a limit of space, it seems to be huge. And, judging from the
        way that Yahoo has preserved such XTalk sponsored seminars with Dom Crossan and
        Jimmy Dunn, it seems that as long as someone maintains a list, its archives
        remain intact.

        Yours,

        Jeffrey
        --
        Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
        1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 15, 2006
          > I would like to know what Yahoo's policy is on the "archiving" of its
          > lists.
          > Is there a "limit" on the archival space ? If the list should fold (heaven
          > forbid!) is its archive erased or preserved ?

          Although I cannot answer specifically what Yahoo's policy is for
          archives (I'm presently wondering this in regards to another list I was
          on that recently folded), there is at least one application available
          that allows one to download all the messages posted to any Yahoo group
          that one is subscribed to, PG Offline. The application also allows one
          to export all the messages to an Access database.

          As for the ANE archive, I've downloaded the entire archive and hope to
          put this online if the OI does really remove it from their servers,
          although the copyright notice at the OI website does sound as those this
          might be questionable, as they specify that 'commercial use, electronic
          re-publication, or print publication of text or images is strictly
          prohibited without prior written permission from the Oriental Institute
          Museum'. I personally think the loss of the archive would be a great
          one, but have received no response in regards to whether it would be an
          issue or not if I did put it online.

          - Chris Bellevie
        • Stern, Richard H.
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 15, 2006
            "As for the ANE archive, I've downloaded the entire archive and hope to put this online"

            Dear colleagues:

            imho:

            It would seem clear that OI does not have a copyright in the individual postings, because it is not their author, nor have the respective authors assigned their rights to OI. OI might claim a copyright in the compilation of the postings, but this alleged compilation consists of every posting made during the relevant time period, in the order of posting. Hence there is little or no selection or arrangement involved in the compilation, and it would therefore appear to be on a par with the unoriginal compilation of all telephone numbers arranged in alphabetical order of subscriber names that the Supreme Court considered in the Feist case and held unprotected against copying.

            Even if there were (there isn't!) a copyright in these archives, you might argue that your use is a privileged 'fair use,' because it is scholarly, non-profit, and 'transformative' in that it provides a useful function to ANE-2 users that was otherwise unavailable. (This argument would be strengthened if the ANE and ANE-2 databases were combined so that a search engine could search both at one time, or if some other new functionality were made available that users would not otherwise enjoy. If ANE makes the archive unavailable, that too would fit into this concept.)

            THIS IS NOT A FORMAL LEGAL OPINION AND YOU SHOULD NOT ACT IN RELIANCE UPON IT, AS SUCH.

            Richard H. Stern
            rstern@... rstern@...
            Washington, DC
            http://docs.law.gwu.edu/facweb/claw/rhs1.htm