Re: [ANE-2] A fragment with an inscription: Son of the High Priest

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 7, 2008
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "eliot braun" <eliotbraun@...>
      To: "ANE" <ANE-2@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Tuesday, October 07, 2008 8:48 AM
      Subject: [ANE-2] A fragment with an inscription: Son of the High Priest

      > This is a link to an article describing a fragment, presumably of a
      > sarcophagus, found near Jerusalem, and which probably dates to ca. the 1st
      > C BCE.
      >
      > http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1027267.html
      >
      > Eliot Braun, Ph D
      > Sr. Fellow WF Albright Institute of Archaeological Research, Jerusalem
      > Associate Researcher Centre de Recherche Français de Jérusalem
      > PO Box 21, Har Adar 90836 Israel
      > Tel 972-2-5345687, Cell 972-50-2231096

      They are reporting a date between 30-70 CE but I believe the script is
      Hasmonean and dates from 125-70-ish BCE but the odd gimel may even point to
      the Hellenistic period. The High Priests were:

      Hellenistic Period
      Onias I (309-265)
      Simon I
      Eleazar 283-246)
      Manasseh
      Onias II (246-221)
      Simon II (221-204)
      Onias II 175ish
      Jason 175-172
      Menelaus (172-162)
      Alcimus 162-159)

      Hasmonean Period
      Jonathan (152-142)
      Simon (142-134)
      John Hyrcanus (134-104)
      Aristobulus I (104-103)
      Alexander Jannaeus (103-76)
      Hyrcanus II (76-67, 63-40)
      Aristobulus II (67-63)
      Antigonus (40-37)

      By Herod the Great:
      Ananel (37-36 BCE)
      Aristobulus ((35 BCE)
      Jesus, son of Phabes
      Simon (also Herod's Father in Law)
      Matthias (5-4 BCE)
      Joseph
      Joazar (4 BCE)
      By Archelaus between 4 BCE and 6 CE
      Eleazar
      Jesus, son of Sie
      Judea becomes a province/prefecture
      By Quirinius ("Cyrenius")
      Annas 6 CE-15 CE
      By Valerius Gratus, prefect from 15 CE to 26 CE
      Ishmael (15 CE to 16 CE)
      Eleazar, son of Annas (16 CE-17 CE)
      Simon son of Kamithos (17 CE to 18 CE)
      Joseph Caiaphas (Yahosef bar Qayafa), son in law of Annas (18 CE to 36
      CE)
      By Vitellius (35-39 CE):
      Jonathan son of Annas (36-37 CE)
      Theophilos son of Annas (37-40CE)
      By Agrippa I (41-44 CE)
      Simon Kantheras (40-43 CE)
      Matthias son of Annas (43 CE)
      Elionaios
      By Herod of Chalcis (44-48 CE)
      Joseph
      Ananias (47-59 CE)
      By Agrippa II (50-100 CE)
      Ishmael (59-61 CE)
      Joseph Kabi (61-62 CE)
      Ananos son of Annas (62 CE for 3 months)
      Jesus son of Damnaios (62-63 CE)
      Jesus son of Gamaliel (63-65 CE)
      Matthias son of Theophilos (65-67 CE)
      During War Phannias.

      The inscription is BN haKoHen HaGaDwL. One epigrapher thinks it is possible
      that the BN, which lies close to the broken edge, could be the final two
      letters of a name hence the sarcophagus of the HP himself. Maybe if we
      Semitize some of the Greek names, there may be a candidate.

      My point, however, is I think the script does not belong to the 30-70 CE
      period.

      Jack

      Jack Kilmon
      SanAntonio, TX
    • Jim West
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 7, 2008
        I'd be interested in hearing your explanation of the gimel in 'gadol'.

        Jack Kilmon wrote:

        > My point, however, is I think the script does not belong to the 30-70 CE
        > period.
        >
        > Jack
        >
        > Jack Kilmon
        > SanAntonio, TX

        ++++++

        Jim West, ThD

        http://jwest.wordpress.com - Blog
        http://sites.google.com/site/biblicalstudiesresources/ - Biblical Studies Resources
      • Jack Kilmon
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 7, 2008
          That Gimel looks somewhat like one I have seen in earlier Qumran texts like
          4QDaniel (125ishBCE) but it also looks very "Greeky" to me as is the
          architecture of the sarc lid. Although I am weighing in for a 125-100 BCE
          date I would not be surprised if it goes back further, perhaps to the
          Hellenistic period. I am curious about the serifs though, Jim, which I
          usually attribute to late Hasmonean and I have seen similar on ossuarial
          inscriptions, Rahmani #75 for example.

          Jack

          Jack Kilmon
          San Antonio, TX

          > I'd be interested in hearing your explanation of the gimel in 'gadol'.
          >
          > Jack Kilmon wrote:
          >>

          >> My point, however, is I think the script does not belong to the 30-70 CE
          >> period.
          >>
          >> Jack
          >>
          >> Jack Kilmon
          >> SanAntonio, TX
        • eliot braun
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 7, 2008
            It was neither a typo nor intended to express an opinion. It is probably just a mistake on my part, although it could, as far as my limited understanding goes, be dated to either 1st century.  Sorry.

            Eliot Braun, Ph D

            PO Box 21, Har Adar 90836 Israel

            Tel 972-2-5345687, Cell 972-50-2231096

            "This is a link to an article describing a fragment, presumably of a sarcophagus, found near Jerusalem, and which probably dates to ca. the 1st C BCE."

            Was this a type-o, or do you truly have grounds for attributing the find to the 1st c. BCE? The article you provided seems to attribute it to 30-70 CE, not BCE.

            Doug Petrovich

            Toronto, Canada

          • David Hall
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 7, 2008
              The tomb of the high priest Caiphas was found in Peace Forest below the Haas Promenade.  The Caiphas ossuary contained some very detailed geometric carvings resembling pinwheels or flowers.  There were 12 ossuaries found in the tomb.

              A partial list of High Priests:

              Simeon a.k.a. Boethus (22-5 B.C.)
              Mattaiah Ben Theophilus (5-4 B.C.)
              Joazar (4 B.C.)

              Annas (6-15 A.D.)
              Caiphas (18-37 A.D.)

              Theophilus (37 A.D.)

              One of two Sadducean High Priests -- Ishmael Ben Phiabi II (up to 62 A.D.)

              Joshua Ben Gamaliel (63-65 A.D.)
              Matthias (65 A.D.)

              after J. Joachim et al.

              David Q. Hall
              dqhall59@...

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 7, 2008
                The Jerusalem Post has a link to a two-minute IBA video about the
                discovery of the "remnant of a covering of a sarcophagus" with the
                (translated) inscription "son of the High Priest".
                The narrator mentions the belief that the High Priest officiated at the
                Temple between the years 30 and 70 CE.
                The video is entitled "Archaeological dig reveals big find" and
                sub-captioned "Jerusalem unveils 2nd Temple fragment with inscription 'Son
                of High Priest'."
                The video's long URL is:
                http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=JPost/Page/VideoPlayer&cid=1194419829128&videoId=1222017491590
                It appears (at least to me) from a side view of the inscribed cover in
                the video that the reading is "ben" and that it is not the end of a name, as
                there is room for a letter or letters after the break in the stone.
                Joseph I. Lauer
                Brooklyn, New York