Re: [ANE-2] RE: the case for the Jehoash Inscription

  • Joe Zias
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 5, 2008
      Ah, that Jehoash/BAR inscription again, being somewhat closer to the 'plate' as they say in Hebrew there has been some new developments, but rather than bring them to the attention of the list, I'll wait for the BAR update which is 'covering' the trial, thought don't hold your breath as that Egyptian forger who admitted to 60 minutes Bob Simon that he had a 'hand' in it still has not appeared. I wonder why, time will tell. Be patient, as archaeology is 95% patience and 5 % luck.
      Joe

      Joe Zias www.joezias.com
      Anthropology/Paleopathology

      Science and Antiquity Group - Jerusalem
      Jerusalem, Israel

      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 5, 2008
        The Jehoash tablet was published.  It is of little consequence that the one who sold it has been indicted on fraud charges, nor was it of importance to some that it was unprovenanced.  Some people claimed they found pieces of wood from Noah's ark on Mt. Ararat in Turkey.  I do not believe their publication aided scientific acheivement although it made some people very happy.

        David Q. Hall
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 5, 2008
          David,

          This is one of the peculiar assets of biblical studies, the kind of
          parasites that surrounds it. We have deliberate fraud as probably in the
          Joash case. Or the brother of Jesus ossuarium often discussed at
          biblical lists. Then we have the more crazy people around as those who
          are always looking for Noah's ark. Another case is the quest for the
          grave of Moses. There were rumours that some Italian billionaire some
          years ago got permission to blow up Byzantine churches around Mt Nebo,
          because Moses must be buried under a church. And so on. A kind of
          continuation for the old search for splinters of the cross of Christ.

          Happily we don't discuss such matters here!

          But it is interesting how one piece of fake from Palestine gets much
          more attention than the problem about genuine artefacts from Iraq stolen
          and sold illegally.

          Niels Peter Lemche
        • Joe Zias
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 5, 2008
            I couldn't agree with you more, aside from those being on trial, it did indeed make a few folks very happy financially. That's the reason you are not getting updated from the so called 'updaters' now that the 'experts' are being questioned in the court room.