[ANE-2] Sheffer

  • Antonio Lombatti
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 3, 2008
      Hi all,

      I'm (desperately) looking for Avigail Sheffer's email address. She is
      an expert in Second Temple textiles. Does anyone on this list know how
      or where to contact her?

      In case you can help me, please, be so kind to write me off list.

      Thanks,
      Antonio Lombatti

      ----------------------------------
      http://www.antoniolombatti.it

    • Jack Kilmon
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 4, 2008
        I understand, Joe. Like Niels said.."In a perfect world..." which it
        certainly aint. Just the thought of an extremely valuable (academically)
        piece of epigraphy going unpublished or ignored...well...it sure is a
        complex issue. What better example than the unprovenanced mummy of Ramses
        I, that had bounced around huckster exhibits in the US for 140 years, being
        returned to Egypt. How could the founder of the 19th Dynasty be ignored?

        Jack

        Jack Kilmon
        San Antonio, TX

        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 5, 2008
          Ah, that Jehoash/BAR inscription again, being somewhat closer to the 'plate' as they say in Hebrew there has been some new developments, but rather than bring them to the attention of the list, I'll wait for the BAR update which is 'covering' the trial, thought don't hold your breath as that Egyptian forger who admitted to 60 minutes Bob Simon that he had a 'hand' in it still has not appeared. I wonder why, time will tell. Be patient, as archaeology is 95% patience and 5 % luck.

        • David Hall
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 5, 2008
            The Jehoash tablet was published.  It is of little consequence that the one who sold it has been indicted on fraud charges, nor was it of importance to some that it was unprovenanced.  Some people claimed they found pieces of wood from Noah's ark on Mt. Ararat in Turkey.  I do not believe their publication aided scientific acheivement although it made some people very happy.

            David Q. Hall
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 5, 2008
              David,

              This is one of the peculiar assets of biblical studies, the kind of
              parasites that surrounds it. We have deliberate fraud as probably in the
              Joash case. Or the brother of Jesus ossuarium often discussed at
              biblical lists. Then we have the more crazy people around as those who
              are always looking for Noah's ark. Another case is the quest for the
              grave of Moses. There were rumours that some Italian billionaire some
              years ago got permission to blow up Byzantine churches around Mt Nebo,
              because Moses must be buried under a church. And so on. A kind of
              continuation for the old search for splinters of the cross of Christ.

              Happily we don't discuss such matters here!

              But it is interesting how one piece of fake from Palestine gets much
              more attention than the problem about genuine artefacts from Iraq stolen
              and sold illegally.

              Niels Peter Lemche
            • Joe Zias
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 5, 2008
                I couldn't agree with you more, aside from those being on trial, it did indeed make a few folks very happy financially. That's the reason you are not getting updated from the so called 'updaters' now that the 'experts' are being questioned in the court room.