RE: [ANE-2] Babylonian Akitu festival

  • christopher cressey
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 29, 2008
      The bit Akidu is originally sumerian ceremony celebrated for approx 11 days of every year in the month of Ninsaan (if i remember correclty) about end of April -start of may. This is where the sacred marraige ceremony representing Dumuzi and Inanna, this was in order to herald in the new year to bring in the new years harvest.

      My apologies for not speaking sooner I have been a member of this forum for a while now and I have not spoken, as until now there has been no talk on ancient sumer or (kiengir) which is my speciality. My apologies for blating advertising, however I have my own forum which deals with ancient sumer specifically, called Sumer-garden of the gods (been going since year 2000)
      Hope to contribute more on the topic of ancient Sumer in this forum

      Christopher Cressey

      To: ANE-2@yahoogroups.comFrom: sbudin@...: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 12:55:24 -0400Subject: Re: [ANE-2] Babylonian Akitu festival

      Has anyone yet mentioned:Julye Bidmead. _The Akitu Festival: Religious Continuity and Royal Legitimation in Mesopotamia_. Gorgias Dissertations, Near Eastern Series. 2002.Does anyone one know anything about it? I haven't read it yet.All Best,Stephanie Budin