the case for the Jehoash Inscription

  • dhyphenf
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 26, 2008
      "This study supports the antiquity of the patina, which in turn,
      strengthens the contention that the inscription is authentic."

      So concludes the abstract of "Archaeometric analysis of the 'Jehoash
      Inscription' tablet," by Ilani, Rosenfeld, Feldman (no relation to me)
      Krumbein and Kronfeld in (the peer-reviewed) Journal of Archaeological
      Science, Volume 35, Issue 11, November 2008, Pages 2966-2972. The
      abstract can be read for free at:

      http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=PublicationURL&_tockey=%23TOC%236844%232008%23999649988%23696487%23FLA%23&_cdi=6844&_pubType=J&_auth=y&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=59e11c17405aebe46ff20ea4292d24de

      Steven Feldman
      Web Editor
      Biblical Archaeology Review
    • K L Noll
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 26, 2008
        The Abstract, from the web site Feldman alerted us to, reads as follows:
        A gray, fine-grained arkosic sandstone tablet bearing an inscription in ancient Hebrew from the First Temple Period contains a rich assemblage of particles accumulated in the covering patina that includes calcite, dolomite, quartz and feldspar grains, iron oxides, carbon ash particles, microorganisms, and gold globules (1-4 ?m in diameter). There are two types of patina present: thin layers of a black to orange-brown, iron oxide-rich patina, a product of micro-biogenetical activity, as well as a light beige patina mainly composed of carbonates, quartz and feldspar grains. The patina covers the rock surfaces and inscription grooves post-dating the incised inscription as well as a fissure that runs across the stone and several of the engraved letters. Accelerator Mass Spectrometry (AMS) analyses of the carbon particles in the patina yields a calibrated radiocarbon age of 2340-2150 Cal BP and a conventional radiocarbon age of 2250 ± 40 years BP. The presence of microcolonial fungi and associated pitting indicates slow growth over many years. The occurrence of pure gold globules is evidence of melting (above 1000 °C) indicates a thermal event. This study supports the antiquity of the patina, which in turn, strengthens the contention that the inscription is authentic.

        My comment: I am not competent to evaluate the natural science in this discussion, but this Abstract raises in my mind a methodological conundrum. Suppose, for sake of argument, that the science is not able to detect any sign of forgery. In that case, we have an unprovenanced artifact which, on the basis of grammatical and paleographic arguments, seems suspect and probably fake. Does this suggest that forgery technique has become so sophisticated that we must now, as a matter of method, absolutely refuse to consider any unprovenanced artifact, regardless? Any comments?

        Shalom,
        K. L. Noll
        Brandon University
        Brandon, Manitoba

      • Jack Kilmon
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 28, 2008
          > The Abstract, from the web site Feldman alerted us to, reads as follows:
          > A gray, fine-grained arkosic sandstone tablet bearing an inscription in
          > ancient Hebrew from the First Temple Period contains a rich assemblage of
          > particles accumulated in the covering patina that includes calcite,
          > dolomite, quartz and feldspar grains, iron oxides, carbon ash particles,
          > microorganisms, and gold globules (1-4 ?m in diameter). There are two
          > types of patina present: thin layers of a black to orange-brown, iron
          > oxide-rich patina, a product of micro-biogenetical activity, as well as a
          > light beige patina mainly composed of carbonates, quartz and feldspar
          > grains. The patina covers the rock surfaces and inscription grooves
          > post-dating the incised inscription as well as a fissure that runs across
          > the stone and several of the engraved letters. Accelerator Mass
          > Spectrometry (AMS) analyses of the carbon particles in the patina yields a
          > calibrated radiocarbon age of 2340-2150 Cal BP and a conventional
          > radiocarbon age of 2250 ± 40 years BP. The presence of microcolonial fungi
          > and associated pitting indicates slow growth over many years. The
          > occurrence of pure gold globules is evidence of melting (above 1000 °C)
          > indicates a thermal event. This study supports the antiquity of the
          > patina, which in turn, strengthens the contention that the inscription is
          > authentic.
          >
          > My comment: I am not competent to evaluate the natural science in this
          > discussion, but this Abstract raises in my mind a methodological
          > conundrum. Suppose, for sake of argument, that the science is not able to
          > detect any sign of forgery. In that case, we have an unprovenanced
          > artifact which, on the basis of grammatical and paleographic arguments,
          > seems suspect and probably fake. Does this suggest that forgery technique
          > has become so sophisticated that we must now, as a matter of method,
          > absolutely refuse to consider any unprovenanced artifact, regardless? Any
          > comments?
          >
          > Shalom,
          > K. L. Noll
          > Brandon University
          > Brandon, Manitoba

          I think it has definitely been shown that forgery techniques have improved
          considerably but yet again, the greater majority of artifacts are
          unprovenanced. I don't think we can afford to dismiss them out of hand if
          they are potentially important epigraphs and archeometry and
          paleography/orthography concur.

          I am totally puzzled by this thing.

          Jack Kilmon
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 28, 2008
            I think it has definitely been shown that forgery techniques have
            improved
            considerably but yet again, the greater majority of artifacts are
            unprovenanced. I don't think we can afford to dismiss them out of hand
            if
            they are potentially important epigraphs and archeometry and
            paleography/orthography concur.

            >>I am totally puzzled by this thing.

            Jack Kilmon <<

            Dear Jack,

            I see no other options than to reject such material, or we are totally
            at the mercy of intelligent forgers. In a perfect world, yes, OK, but
            this is not a perfect world.

            Niels Peter Lemche
          • George Athas
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 28, 2008
              Why not put such findings in a ‘holding pattern’ pending further evidence? We leave portions of tels for later archaeologists with better methods and equipment to excavate. Why not use the same principle with artefacts?

              Regards,
              GEORGE ATHAS
              Moore Theological College (Sydney)
              Ph: 9577 9774. Mob: 0449 758 100
              www.moore.edu.au<http://www.moore.edu.au/>

            • Yitzhak Sapir
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 29, 2008
                Dear all,

                I have developed a particular theory concerning NWS classification.

                This theory has a certain minor conclusion regarding ancient (pre-
                7th century) Hebrew morphology that is contradicted by one word in
                the Jehoash inscription. That conclusion is supported in my opinion
                by the Siloam inscription, the Samaria ostraca, Tell Siran, and
                Phoenician in general. I do not take the word in Jehoash as
                falsification, however, given the nature of the debate on its authenticity
                and the lack of provenance of the inscription. I think it raises some
                interesting points regarding the value of the inscription for study -- can
                it provide falsification to a theory? If it cannot, does it have any use for
                study? Moreover, does it give us incorrect data regarding 9th century
                BCE Hebrew? If it does, it might not only not have any use but may
                be downright harmful to scholarship.

                Yitzhak Sapir
              • Jim West
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 29, 2008
                  Nina Burleigh's new book, Unholy Business, goes step by step through the
                  whole nasty business of the James Ossuary and the Jehoash inscription
                  showing, by first hand witnesses, that they are both bogus. Her
                  accomplishment should be paid attention to by everyone in the field.
                  It's amazing that an outsider has seen so clearly and proven so
                  effectively her case.

                  --
                  ++++++

                  Jim West, ThD

                  http://jwest.wordpress.com - Blog
                  http://sites.google.com/site/biblicalstudiesresources/ - Biblical Studies Resources
                • Joe Zias
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 29, 2008
                    I'm surprised that we are even having this debate after :

                    A. Bob Simon of 60 Minutes outed the forger several months back who admitted forging it.
                    B. Consider the source, i.e. the owner....

                    Joe

                    Joe Zias www.joezias.com
                    Anthropology/Paleopathology

                    Science and Antiquity Group - Jerusalem
                    Jerusalem, Israel

                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 29, 2008
                      > I think it has definitely been shown that forgery techniques have
                      > improved
                      > considerably but yet again, the greater majority of artifacts are
                      > unprovenanced. I don't think we can afford to dismiss them out of hand
                      > if
                      > they are potentially important epigraphs and archeometry and
                      > paleography/orthography concur.
                      >
                      >>>I am totally puzzled by this thing.
                      >
                      > Jack Kilmon <<
                      >

                      > Dear Jack,
                      >
                      > I see no other options than to reject such material, or we are totally
                      > at the mercy of intelligent forgers. In a perfect world, yes, OK, but
                      > this is not a perfect world.
                      >
                      > Niels Peter Lemche

                      I wish there was another option....maybe there is. The tactic the idiot IAA
                      takes, however, won't cut it. Their zeal to send forgers to jail for a
                      billion years is OK but not their tactic to prosecute and smear innocents
                      like Drs.Deutsch and Eshel just for the publicity.

                      A very important piece of unprovenanced epigraphy will almost certainly rise
                      up from private hands again.

                      Never a dull moment.

                      Jack Kilmon
                    • Joe Zias
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 29, 2008
                        Jack Kilmon writes "A very important piece of unprovenanced epigraphy will almost certainly rise up from private hands again."

                        I would like to add, forged or plundered and published in those journals pandering to the public looking for 'signs and wonders'. You won't see it in any of the ASOR journals and in time is too may be on trial. It will only be important to those greedy or naive, academics will rightfully ignore it. As far as those on trial or awaiting trial, be ready for some more surprises...

                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 3, 2008
                          Hi all,

                          I'm (desperately) looking for Avigail Sheffer's email address. She is
                          an expert in Second Temple textiles. Does anyone on this list know how
                          or where to contact her?

                          In case you can help me, please, be so kind to write me off list.

                          Thanks,
                          Antonio Lombatti

                          ----------------------------------
                          http://www.antoniolombatti.it

                        • Jack Kilmon
                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 4, 2008
                            I understand, Joe. Like Niels said.."In a perfect world..." which it
                            certainly aint. Just the thought of an extremely valuable (academically)
                            piece of epigraphy going unpublished or ignored...well...it sure is a
                            complex issue. What better example than the unprovenanced mummy of Ramses
                            I, that had bounced around huckster exhibits in the US for 140 years, being
                            returned to Egypt. How could the founder of the 19th Dynasty be ignored?

                            Jack

                            Jack Kilmon
                            San Antonio, TX

                            > Jack Kilmon writes "A very important piece of unprovenanced epigraphy will
                            > almost certainly rise up from private hands again."
                            >

                            > I would like to add, forged or plundered and published in those journals
                            > pandering to the public looking for 'signs and wonders'. You won't see it
                            > in any of the ASOR journals and in time is too may be on trial. It will
                            > only be important to those greedy or naive, academics will rightfully
                            > ignore it. As far as those on trial or awaiting trial, be ready for some
                            > more surprises...
                            >
                            > Joe
                            >
                            > Joe Zias www.joezias.com
                            > Anthropology/Paleopathology
                            >
                            > Science and Antiquity Group - Jerusalem
                            > Jerusalem, Israel

                          • Joe Zias
                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 5, 2008
                              Ah, that Jehoash/BAR inscription again, being somewhat closer to the 'plate' as they say in Hebrew there has been some new developments, but rather than bring them to the attention of the list, I'll wait for the BAR update which is 'covering' the trial, thought don't hold your breath as that Egyptian forger who admitted to 60 minutes Bob Simon that he had a 'hand' in it still has not appeared. I wonder why, time will tell. Be patient, as archaeology is 95% patience and 5 % luck.

                            • David Hall
                              Message 14 of 16 , Oct 5, 2008
                                The Jehoash tablet was published.  It is of little consequence that the one who sold it has been indicted on fraud charges, nor was it of importance to some that it was unprovenanced.  Some people claimed they found pieces of wood from Noah's ark on Mt. Ararat in Turkey.  I do not believe their publication aided scientific acheivement although it made some people very happy.

                                David Q. Hall
                                Message 15 of 16 , Oct 5, 2008
                                  David,

                                  This is one of the peculiar assets of biblical studies, the kind of
                                  parasites that surrounds it. We have deliberate fraud as probably in the
                                  Joash case. Or the brother of Jesus ossuarium often discussed at
                                  biblical lists. Then we have the more crazy people around as those who
                                  are always looking for Noah's ark. Another case is the quest for the
                                  grave of Moses. There were rumours that some Italian billionaire some
                                  years ago got permission to blow up Byzantine churches around Mt Nebo,
                                  because Moses must be buried under a church. And so on. A kind of
                                  continuation for the old search for splinters of the cross of Christ.

                                  Happily we don't discuss such matters here!

                                  But it is interesting how one piece of fake from Palestine gets much
                                  more attention than the problem about genuine artefacts from Iraq stolen
                                  and sold illegally.

                                  Niels Peter Lemche
                                • Joe Zias
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Oct 5, 2008
                                    I couldn't agree with you more, aside from those being on trial, it did indeed make a few folks very happy financially. That's the reason you are not getting updated from the so called 'updaters' now that the 'experts' are being questioned in the court room.