Astarte -- "She of the villages"

  • sbudin@camden.rutgers.edu
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 26, 2008
      Greetings, All,

      I have recently come across an etymology of the name Astarte which
      claims that it means "She of the Villages". There is no citation.
      Has anyone ever come across anything like this? Is there any
      bibliography? I am rather perplexed.

      Many thanks in advance!
      Stephanie Budin

      "Maybe we can link up with someone who's meditating and download
      enlightenment!" -Tachikoma
    • Jean-Fabrice Nardelli
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 26, 2008
        See Martin L. West, "The Name of Aphrodite", Glotta 76. 1-2, 2000 (released 2002), 134-138 ; the old etymology Aphroditê < 'Ashtart (Ashtoreth), again which West takes arms, cannot however be called ruled out after this article.

        J.-F. Nardelli
        Université de Provence

      • sbudin@camden.rutgers.edu
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 26, 2008
          Ah! I think I have that at home. Many thanks! -Stephanie