re: new and fantastic finds from Khirbet Qeiyafa

  • arenmaeir
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 11, 2008
      Although I can't say much since it has not been published in any
      manner, today, the excavators of Khirbet Qeiyafa, Yossi Garfinkel
      (Hebrew University) and Saar Ganor (Israel Antiquities Authority)
      gave a preliminary "show and tell" presentation in Jerusalem to a
      group of about 30 archaeologists from all over Israel (and some
      visitors from abroad), of the finds from their recent excavations at
      Kh. Qeiyafa in the Elah Valley (east of Tel Azekah; see:
      www.elahfortress.com/index.htm).

      This absolutely fantastic, fortified Iron Age site (late Iron I/early
      Iron IIA) has a very nice assemblage of pottery, and what may be the
      most important Iron Age Semitic inscription found in Israel in the
      last decade! (to be published by Haggai Misgav of the Hebrew
      University)

      I can't give details about it, but OH BOY - this is going to be VERY
      INTERESTING!!!!

      Clearly, the site, its dating, the finds, and their significance,
      will be of paramount importance in the discussions of the Iron Age
      southern Levant, and just about anything connected to it, in the near
      future.

      Based on Yossi's previous track record in publishing excavation
      results, publications should be appearing soon!

      Mabruk to Yossi and Saar!!

      Aren Maeir
      Jealous (just joking...) at Gath ...
    • Brian Colless
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 13, 2008
        Is Haggai Misgav a 'cuneiformologist' or an 'aramaicist' or a
        'hebraicist'?

        Sorry for being such a busybody. You don't have to give away secrets.

        [Are they sure it is not a Bronze Age proto-alphabetic inscription?!]

        Aren, I am still working on a response to you on Cyprian inscriptions
        in the Levant (Askelon, and also Gath?), but if anyone wants to know
        what the characters are in the Bronze Age syllabary of Cyprus (signs
        borrowed from Cretan Linear A, and the forerunners of the Iron Age
        syllabary, Linear C) my tables are under ANCIENT SCRIPTS at:

        http://collesseum.googlepages.com/
        specifically at:
        http://collesseum.googlepages.com/cyprusscripts

        Brian Colless
        Massey University, NZ

        On 12/09/2008, at 7:54 AM, arenmaeir wrote:

        > Kh. Qeiyafa in the Elah Valley (east of Tel Azekah; see:
        > www.elahfortress.com/index.htm).
        >
        > This absolutely fantastic, fortified Iron Age site (late Iron I/early
        > Iron IIA) has a very nice assemblage of pottery, and what may be the
        > most important Iron Age Semitic inscription found in Israel in the
        > last decade! (to be published by Haggai Misgav of the Hebrew
        > University)

      • victor avigdor hurowitz
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 13, 2008
          Haggai Misgav is an epigrapher. Look at
          http://archaeology.huji.ac.il/depart/classical/haggaim/publications.asp

          Victor Hurowitz
          BGU

          On Sun, 14 Sep 2008, Brian Colless wrote:

          > Is Haggai Misgav a 'cuneiformologist' or an 'aramaicist' or a
          > 'hebraicist'?
          >
          > Sorry for being such a busybody. You don't have to give away secrets.
          >
          > [Are they sure it is not a Bronze Age proto-alphabetic inscription?!]
          >
          > Aren, I am still working on a response to you on Cyprian inscriptions
          > in the Levant (Askelon, and also Gath?), but if anyone wants to know
          > what the characters are in the Bronze Age syllabary of Cyprus (signs
          > borrowed from Cretan Linear A, and the forerunners of the Iron Age
          > syllabary, Linear C) my tables are under ANCIENT SCRIPTS at:
          >
          > http://collesseum.googlepages.com/
          > specifically at:
          > http://collesseum.googlepages.com/cyprusscripts
          >
          > Brian Colless
          > Massey University, NZ
          >
          > On 12/09/2008, at 7:54 AM, arenmaeir wrote:
          >
          > > Kh. Qeiyafa in the Elah Valley (east of Tel Azekah; see:
          > > www.elahfortress.com/index.htm).
          > >
          > > This absolutely fantastic, fortified Iron Age site (late Iron I/early
          > > Iron IIA) has a very nice assemblage of pottery, and what may be the
          > > most important Iron Age Semitic inscription found in Israel in the
          > > last decade! (to be published by Haggai Misgav of the Hebrew
          > > University)

        • arenmaeir
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 13, 2008
            Brian,
            As Victor wrote, Haggai is a NW Semitic epigraphist, a student of J.
            Naveh. Among other publications, he put out a volume on the Semitic
            inscriptions from Y. Magen's excavations on Mt. Gerizim.

            As to the other aspects of the Qeiyafa inscription - I'm sorry but from
            an ethical point of view I simply can't say anything else.

            As to the inscription from Tell es-Safi/Gath. An extensive article,
            with our "official interpretation" should be appearing any day now in
            BASOR - so do wait to see it before you write your response ...

            Best,
            Aren Maeir
          • Brian Colless
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 14, 2008
              Thanks Aren, Victor, Jim

              So it is not an inscription of an Assyrian or Babylonian emperor, nor
              of a Rab-Shakeh in Aramaic, but of a local 'emperor': a Seren or a
              Shophet or a Dawidum.

              Well, I get a communication from BAR every day, and it is bound to
              turn up there sometime!

              And I have just received one in the mail, in which Aren and other
              archaeologists model fashionable hats.

              Say no more.

              Brian Colless

              Massey U, NZ