Re: Atrahasis on-line?

  • Brian Colless
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 9, 2008
      Victor, it is all right; it was not there for you to find at the time!

      I knew I had seen something in Iraq in Sydney on one of my rare visits. JS /Agade has just passed on the news that the journal it is on JSTOR now, so I should go and beg a copy from my university library.

      On your last point, my view is that if the ancients allowed themselves to make new recensions, why can't I ?! Notice I mark them BV and AV clearly in the text. I also abridge the long repetitions.

      Shalom

      Brian

      On 9/09/2008, at 4:36 PM, victor wrote:

      > Brian, sorry I didn't mention your translation, but it's not quite
      on the beaten track.

      Be that as it may, the Atrahasis from Sippar has been partially
      published by George and Al-Rawi, "Tablets from the Sippar Library VI. Atra-hasis", Iraq 58 (1996) 58, pages 147-190.
      I wouldn't recommend simply integrating this material into the already
      existing material as you did with the Assyrian recension because it
      is quite expansive and you'd end up with a text which never existed.

      > Victor Hurowitz
      > BGU
    • Brian Colless
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 11, 2008
        Stephanie,

        Please remember that this is not an authoritative translation. It is
        not original, it is just the general consensus put into my own words
        (but these sometimes coincide with some one else's sentence!); and
        when everyone disagrees about the meaning of a word or phrase, I often
        say to myself that my guess is as good as theirs. The very first line
        (as with Gilgamesh) is a puzzle. I don't know where I got the idea of
        awilum being locative (> in place of), but certainly the meaning must
        be that once upon a time the gods were doing all the work, not humans.

        For the birth bricks I had an Egyptian analogy of squatting on two
        large bricks in mind.

        The idea that the drum represented the human heartbeat, I picked up
        from Albright in BibArc'st, and also the malthusianism at the end.

        The thing was prepared for my students, to give them the gist of what
        is going on in the story, and I added bits of the Assyrian version to
        fill gaps in the story line. I added notes at the end.

        I hope it will be useful to you in that way.

        It was your request that prompted me to put it there. I have a lot
        more of them waiting on the assembly line for a final polishing. The
        Song of the Pearl (Syriac) is one which is extremely original, and I
        have put that on open access; but Enuma Elish and Gilgamesh are ones I
        am hesitant about. Having seen Lambert's translation of EE on the web
        the other day, I suppose I could use it to correct my own version, but
        would not want to be in competition with him.

        The same with Andrew George's Gilgamesh (printed in books). I met
        Andrew George (and also Victor Hurovitz and Gary Rendsburg) at a
        seminar on Gilgamesh in Sydney; Andrew gave me a crit session on
        details of my interpretation of the epic, and I want to put my study
        of the themes of the epic on my website.
        Brian Colless
        Massey University, NZ
        http://collesseum.googlepages.com/home