Re: [ANE-2] Sources for undergraduate Ancient Israel

  • Emanuel O. Pfoh
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 9, 2008
      Dear Xianhua Wang,

      check this out: http://sites.google.com/site/biblicalstudiesresources/

      Best wishes,

      Emanuel Pfoh

      --- On Tue, 9/9/08, X.Wang <e2waxi@...> wrote:
      From: X.Wang <e2waxi@...>
      Subject: [ANE-2] Sources for undergraduate Ancient Israel
      To: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, September 9, 2008, 6:00 AM

      Dear Colleagues,

      This is Xianhua Wang writing for information relating to free online sources

      for an undergraduate course on Ancient Israel. I am teaching Ancient Israel

      and Biblical Hebrew, both are new courses here, to undergraduates at Beijing

      Normal University, Beijing, but the availability of materials for beginners

      is a bit difficult out here.

      I have tried the internet and have found a collection of Bible versions but

      did not succeed much in locating sufficient free multi-media sources such as

      digital maps or video language wares. Information particularly of online

      free multi-media teaching tools is extremely welcome.

      I am using Professor Lester L. Grabbe's Ancient Israel somehow as a textbook

      for the history course, to be translated and introduced to my students, who

      read in Chinese selected passages of the Bible before I introduce related

      problems in interpreting these passages. The course is therefore a

      historical reading of selected biblical texts along which an outline of

      Ancient Israel is introduced to students.

      I need for this history course additional free digitalized introductory

      texts on Ancient Israel.

      For the language course, I am using the Chinese translation of Professor

      Choon-Leong Seow's A Grammar for Biblical Hebrew. The book will serve

      introductory purposes in terms of language but students here are feeling

      difficulties in finding reasonably sized Biblical Hebrew-English

      dictionaries. I am trying to get one by myself and provide photocopies to

      students. However, this is also being a bit difficult. Any information for a

      free downloadable dictionary will also be most welcome.

      I have just come back from several long trips and am only about to respond

      to some colleague's comments on my earlier posts. I will do this offline.

      But for these two courses beginning this week, I sincerely wish for

      recommendations of free online resources.

      Thank you very much in advance. To save space, recommendations are welcome

      offline to e2waxi@gmail. com or xw212@hermes. cam.ac.uk.

      Xianhua Wang

      Associate Professor

      School of History

      Beijing Normal University

      Beijing, China

    • rwklein@wowway.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 9, 2008
        Try my website on the OT and the Ancient Near East listed below

        --
        Ralph W. Klein
        Christ Seminary-Seminex Professor of Old Testament emeritus

        > This is Xianhua Wang writing for information relating to free online sources
        > for an undergraduate course on Ancient Israel. I am teaching Ancient Israel
        > and Biblical Hebrew, both are new courses here, to undergraduates at Beijing
        > Normal University, Beijing, but the availability of materials for beginners
        > is a bit difficult out here.
        >
        > I have tried the internet and have found a collection of Bible versions but
        > did not succeed much in locating sufficient free multi-media sources such as
        > digital maps or video language wares. Information particularly of online
        > free multi-media teaching tools is extremely welcome.
        >
        > I am using Professor Lester L. Grabbe's Ancient Israel somehow as a textbook
        > for the history course, to be translated and introduced to my students, who
        > read in Chinese selected passages of the Bible before I introduce related
        > problems in interpreting these passages. The course is therefore a
        > historical reading of selected biblical texts along which an outline of
        > Ancient Israel is introduced to students.
        >
        > I need for this history course additional free digitalized introductory
        > texts on Ancient Israel.
        >
        > For the language course, I am using the Chinese translation of Professor
        > Choon-Leong Seow's A Grammar for Biblical Hebrew. The book will serve
        > introductory purposes in terms of language but students here are feeling
        > difficulties in finding reasonably sized Biblical Hebrew-English
        > dictionaries. I am trying to get one by myself and provide photocopies to
        > students. However, this is also being a bit difficult. Any information for a
        > free downloadable dictionary will also be most welcome.
        >
        > I have just come back from several long trips and am only about to respond
        > to some colleague's comments on my earlier posts. I will do this offline.
        > But for these two courses beginning this week, I sincerely wish for
        > recommendations of free online resources.
        >
        > Thank you very much in advance. To save space, recommendations are welcome
        > offline to e2waxi@... or xw212@....
        >
        > Xianhua Wang
        > Associate Professor
        > School of History
        > Beijing Normal University
        > Beijing, China

        ------- End of Original Message -------

      • Robert Whiting
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 9, 2008
          The links page at the ANE-2 homepage
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ANE-2/links> has a number of links both
          to biblical text and to pages with links to resorces for biblical
          study. Look in the folders "Bible readers" and "Gateways/Portals".
          Can't guarantee that what you want can be found there, but it's worth
          a try.

          Bob Whiting
          whiting@...