Re: [ANE-2] Re: Atrahasis on-line?

  • sbudin@camden.rutgers.edu
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 9, 2008
      Wow! Thank you! This is very helpful! Many, many thanks!

      -Stephanie Budin

    • Brian Colless
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 9, 2008
        Victor, it is all right; it was not there for you to find at the time!

        I knew I had seen something in Iraq in Sydney on one of my rare visits. JS /Agade has just passed on the news that the journal it is on JSTOR now, so I should go and beg a copy from my university library.

        On your last point, my view is that if the ancients allowed themselves to make new recensions, why can't I ?! Notice I mark them BV and AV clearly in the text. I also abridge the long repetitions.

        Shalom

        Brian

        On 9/09/2008, at 4:36 PM, victor wrote:

        > Brian, sorry I didn't mention your translation, but it's not quite
        on the beaten track.

        Be that as it may, the Atrahasis from Sippar has been partially
        published by George and Al-Rawi, "Tablets from the Sippar Library VI. Atra-hasis", Iraq 58 (1996) 58, pages 147-190.
        I wouldn't recommend simply integrating this material into the already
        existing material as you did with the Assyrian recension because it
        is quite expansive and you'd end up with a text which never existed.

        > Victor Hurowitz
        > BGU
      • Brian Colless
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 11, 2008
          Stephanie,

          Please remember that this is not an authoritative translation. It is
          not original, it is just the general consensus put into my own words
          (but these sometimes coincide with some one else's sentence!); and
          when everyone disagrees about the meaning of a word or phrase, I often
          say to myself that my guess is as good as theirs. The very first line
          (as with Gilgamesh) is a puzzle. I don't know where I got the idea of
          awilum being locative (> in place of), but certainly the meaning must
          be that once upon a time the gods were doing all the work, not humans.

          For the birth bricks I had an Egyptian analogy of squatting on two
          large bricks in mind.

          The idea that the drum represented the human heartbeat, I picked up
          from Albright in BibArc'st, and also the malthusianism at the end.

          The thing was prepared for my students, to give them the gist of what
          is going on in the story, and I added bits of the Assyrian version to
          fill gaps in the story line. I added notes at the end.

          I hope it will be useful to you in that way.

          It was your request that prompted me to put it there. I have a lot
          more of them waiting on the assembly line for a final polishing. The
          Song of the Pearl (Syriac) is one which is extremely original, and I
          have put that on open access; but Enuma Elish and Gilgamesh are ones I
          am hesitant about. Having seen Lambert's translation of EE on the web
          the other day, I suppose I could use it to correct my own version, but
          would not want to be in competition with him.

          The same with Andrew George's Gilgamesh (printed in books). I met
          Andrew George (and also Victor Hurovitz and Gary Rendsburg) at a
          seminar on Gilgamesh in Sydney; Andrew gave me a crit session on
          details of my interpretation of the epic, and I want to put my study
          of the themes of the epic on my website.
          Brian Colless
          Massey University, NZ