Sources for undergraduate Ancient Israel

  • X.Wang
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 9, 2008
      Dear Colleagues,

      This is Xianhua Wang writing for information relating to free online sources
      for an undergraduate course on Ancient Israel. I am teaching Ancient Israel
      and Biblical Hebrew, both are new courses here, to undergraduates at Beijing
      Normal University, Beijing, but the availability of materials for beginners
      is a bit difficult out here.

      I have tried the internet and have found a collection of Bible versions but
      did not succeed much in locating sufficient free multi-media sources such as
      digital maps or video language wares. Information particularly of online
      free multi-media teaching tools is extremely welcome.

      I am using Professor Lester L. Grabbe's Ancient Israel somehow as a textbook
      for the history course, to be translated and introduced to my students, who
      read in Chinese selected passages of the Bible before I introduce related
      problems in interpreting these passages. The course is therefore a
      historical reading of selected biblical texts along which an outline of
      Ancient Israel is introduced to students.

      I need for this history course additional free digitalized introductory
      texts on Ancient Israel.

      For the language course, I am using the Chinese translation of Professor
      Choon-Leong Seow's A Grammar for Biblical Hebrew. The book will serve
      introductory purposes in terms of language but students here are feeling
      difficulties in finding reasonably sized Biblical Hebrew-English
      dictionaries. I am trying to get one by myself and provide photocopies to
      students. However, this is also being a bit difficult. Any information for a
      free downloadable dictionary will also be most welcome.

      I have just come back from several long trips and am only about to respond
      to some colleague's comments on my earlier posts. I will do this offline.
      But for these two courses beginning this week, I sincerely wish for
      recommendations of free online resources.

      Thank you very much in advance. To save space, recommendations are welcome
      offline to e2waxi@... or xw212@....

      Xianhua Wang
      Associate Professor
      School of History
      Beijing Normal University
      Beijing, China
    • Emanuel O. Pfoh
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 9, 2008
        Dear Xianhua Wang,

        check this out: http://sites.google.com/site/biblicalstudiesresources/

        Best wishes,

        Emanuel Pfoh

[...]

        offline to e2waxi@gmail. com or xw212@hermes. cam.ac.uk.

        Xianhua Wang

        Associate Professor

        School of History

        Beijing Normal University

        Beijing, China

      • rwklein@wowway.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 9, 2008
          Try my website on the OT and the Ancient Near East listed below

          --
          Ralph W. Klein
          Christ Seminary-Seminex Professor of Old Testament emeritus

          > This is Xianhua Wang writing for information relating to free online sources
          > for an undergraduate course on Ancient Israel. I am teaching Ancient Israel
          > and Biblical Hebrew, both are new courses here, to undergraduates at Beijing
          > Normal University, Beijing, but the availability of materials for beginners
          > is a bit difficult out here.
          >
          > I have tried the internet and have found a collection of Bible versions but
          > did not succeed much in locating sufficient free multi-media sources such as
          > digital maps or video language wares. Information particularly of online
          > free multi-media teaching tools is extremely welcome.
          >
          > I am using Professor Lester L. Grabbe's Ancient Israel somehow as a textbook
          > for the history course, to be translated and introduced to my students, who
          > read in Chinese selected passages of the Bible before I introduce related
          > problems in interpreting these passages. The course is therefore a
          > historical reading of selected biblical texts along which an outline of
          > Ancient Israel is introduced to students.
          >
          > I need for this history course additional free digitalized introductory
          > texts on Ancient Israel.
          >
          > For the language course, I am using the Chinese translation of Professor
          > Choon-Leong Seow's A Grammar for Biblical Hebrew. The book will serve
          > introductory purposes in terms of language but students here are feeling
          > difficulties in finding reasonably sized Biblical Hebrew-English
          > dictionaries. I am trying to get one by myself and provide photocopies to
          > students. However, this is also being a bit difficult. Any information for a
          > free downloadable dictionary will also be most welcome.
          >
          > I have just come back from several long trips and am only about to respond
          > to some colleague's comments on my earlier posts. I will do this offline.
          > But for these two courses beginning this week, I sincerely wish for
          > recommendations of free online resources.
          >
          > Thank you very much in advance. To save space, recommendations are welcome
          > offline to e2waxi@... or xw212@....
          >
          > Xianhua Wang
          > Associate Professor
          > School of History
          > Beijing Normal University
          > Beijing, China

          ------- End of Original Message -------

        • Robert Whiting
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 9, 2008
            The links page at the ANE-2 homepage
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ANE-2/links> has a number of links both
            to biblical text and to pages with links to resorces for biblical
            study. Look in the folders "Bible readers" and "Gateways/Portals".
            Can't guarantee that what you want can be found there, but it's worth
            a try.

            Bob Whiting
            whiting@...