Re: A question about stoning

  • Daniel A Foxvog
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 27, 2008
      There is no reference to stoning in the URU-KA-gina texts. Kramer's
      translation is obsolete. Compare D. Frayne's new translation of the
      cited passage in Royal Inscriptions of Mesopotamia Early Periods 1
      (2008) 273 (E1.9.9.3 iii 20'-24'): "As for women of former times -- a
      man (could) take two of them; but for women of today -- indemnity
      payments (for debts?) have been removed (and the practice has been
      abolished)."

      Daniel A Foxvog
      Lecturer in Assyriology (retired)
      UC Berkeley