Gibeon

  • David Hall
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 12, 2008
      Earlier this summer there was a thread where Gibeon was mentioned.  I recently finished reading some of Pritchard's works.

      The place El Jib is located about 8 miles north of Jerusalem on a hill top where there was a constant spring.  The site was identified by the finding of some 30 wine jar handles inscribed with 'GBN.'  Pritchard found the tell was occupied in the EB, MBI, MBII, and Iron Age I & II.  There were no LBA sherds found on the tell or on the hill.  Two tombs were from the LBA were found in the vicinity of the town.  LBA Cypriot and Greek style pottery were found in the tombs.  The pottery dating science was confirmed with the discovery of two cartouches from Thutmosis III and Amenemhet II in the tombs.

      Pritchard was of the opinion that Gibeon was not the "great city" it was described to be in the book of Joshua.  The city wall was estimated to have been constructed about 1200 BC.  Have not read any successful challenges to this conclusion.

      Sincerely:

      David Q. Hall