Re: [ANE-2] Re: World's oldest jokes, and mottos

  • Michael.Borries@mail.cuny.edu
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 11, 2008
      Just a guess: "Omni oratio" = "A speech for everything."

      Michael S. Borries
      CUNY Central Cataloging
      151 East 25th Street, 5th Floor
      New York, NY 10010
      email: Michael.Borries@...
      Phone: (646) 312-1687

      Brian Colless <briancolless@...>
      Sent by: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com
      08/09/2008 01:59 PM
      Please respond to
      ANE-2@yahoogroups.com

      ANE-2@yahoogroups.com
      cc

      Subject
      [ANE-2] Re: World's oldest jokes, and mottos

      Omni oratio nil labor'
      > 'all talk, no action' (Jim West)

      > Jim (my Facebook friend) I would have liked to see what kind of a
      > face you were pulling when you wrote that.
      A poker face, I guess.

      Would you like to parse each word for me and explain the syntax?
      omni (not omnis or omne or omnia): dative case singular 'to all'
      oratio: nominative singular 'speech'
      labor: nominative singular 'work, activity'; verb 1st p sg 'I slip,
      pass away'
      ni(hi)l : indeclinable 'nothing'

      I know all Latin epigrams are meant to be obscure, and they always
      trick me.

      Our Fort Street school motto was: Faber est quisque suae fortunae
      (every word in an abnormal position: Everyone is the maker of their
      own fortune)

      Can we ask John Wall what wall he found this graffito on, which he has
      taken as his motto?

      On 8/08/2008, at 2:47 AM, Jim West wrote:

      > Brian Colless wrote:
      >
      > (I was a Latin teacher once, but the sense of 'Omni oratio nil labor'
      > eludes me, too.)
      >
      > If I may-
      >
      > 'all talk, no action'
      >
      > it's kind of funny for a signature.