A question about stoning

  • Trudy Kawami
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 6, 2008
      It is assumed in many quarters that stoning as a form of execution has
      been used in the Near East, from "time immemorial." Is there any
      evidence for this outside of Biblical texts?

      Trudy S. Kawami, Ph.D.

      Director of Research

      Arthur M. Sackler Foundation

      461 East 57th Street

      New York, NY 10022

      www.arthurmsacklerfdn.org

    • Jeffrey B. Gibson
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 6, 2008
        Trudy Kawami wrote:
        > It is assumed in many quarters that stoning as a form of execution has
        > been used in the Near East, from "time immemorial." Is there any
        > evidence for this outside of Biblical texts?

        Not, so far as I can see, according to the article in "punishment" in
        the Anchor Bible Dictionary. Stoning seems to be solely an "Israelite"
        practice.

        Jeffrey

        --
        Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
        1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 6, 2008
          Trudy Kawami wrote, carrying over a discussion from the Indo-Eurasian
          Research List:

          > It is assumed in many quarters that stoning as a form of execution
          > has been used in the Near East, from "time immemorial." Is there
          > any evidence for this outside of Biblical texts?

          Jeffry Gibson responded:

          > Not, so far as I can see, according to the article in "punishment"
          > in the Anchor Bible Dictionary. Stoning seems to be solely an
          > "Israelite" practice.

          Actually stoning was a common Greek method of punishment too,
          although it isn't clear the Persians used it. If you look at the
          following study of punishment methods in "democratic" Athens by
          Danielle Allen (Princeton U. Press, 2000) under "stoning", you'll
          find references in Homer, Herodotus, Xenophon, various Greek
          tragedians, etc. The passages are worth checking out in detail, since
          the methods of stoning used were often unique -- and quite ritualized:

          http://tinyurl.com/5gxp3l

          See also this classic article from 1907, available from JSTOR:

          http://tinyurl.com/69m7k6
          Arthur Stanley Pease, "Notes on Stoning among the Greeks and Romans",
          Transactions and Proceedings of the American Philological
          Association, Vol. 38, (1907), pp. 5-18

          Famous passage on the stoning of Lycidas and his wife and family in
          Herodotus 9.5; Lycidas made the mistake of speaking of surrender to
          the Persians; the Athenians:

          > ...made a ring round Lycidas and stoned him to death. Murychides
          > the Hellespontian, however, they permitted to depart unharmed.
          > There was much noise at Salamis over the business of Lycidas; and
          > when the Athenian women learned what was afoot, one calling to
          > another and bidding her follow, they went on their own own to the
          > house of Lycidas and stoned to death his wife and his children.

          Nothing on waterboarding, alas, which is a specialty in the
          "democratic" US.

          Steve Farmer
        • Max Dashu
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 26, 2008
            This reply is not too late, I hope. There is a reference to stoning
            in Sumeria, laws of Uruinimgina, in Samuel Kramer's translation (The
            Sumerians, 1963):

            "The women of former days used to take two husbands, the women of
            today were stoned with stones."

            Other translations vary. The original code no longer exists, so
            doubtful the conflict will be resolved.

            >It is assumed in many quarters that stoning as a form of execution has
            >been used in the Near East, from "time immemorial." Is there any
            >evidence for this outside of Biblical texts?

            Max
            --
            Max Dashu
            Suppressed Histories Archives

          • Daniel A Foxvog
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 27, 2008
              There is no reference to stoning in the URU-KA-gina texts. Kramer's
              translation is obsolete. Compare D. Frayne's new translation of the
              cited passage in Royal Inscriptions of Mesopotamia Early Periods 1
              (2008) 273 (E1.9.9.3 iii 20'-24'): "As for women of former times -- a
              man (could) take two of them; but for women of today -- indemnity
              payments (for debts?) have been removed (and the practice has been
              abolished)."

              Daniel A Foxvog
              Lecturer in Assyriology (retired)
              UC Berkeley