Archaeology ad politics in Silwan

  • cejo@uchicago.edu
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 6, 2008
      "What Lies Beneath"
      By Adina Hoffman

      This article appeared in the August 18, 2008 edition of The Nation.
      July 30, 2008
      http://www.thenation.com/doc/20080818/hoffman

      A interesting article with a long section on Rafi Greenberg.

      -Chuck Jones-
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 7, 2008
        Dear Chuck and list members,

        Just back from the EABS Annual meeting in Lisbon, I have to say that this organization, ELAD, is becoming a major problem. Eric Meyers of Duke University gave a report. One of their projects attached to this tunnel is to construct an underground synagogue directly under the Hara mesh-Sharif. The project has at the moment been banned by the Israeli High Court. It could be the beginning of WW III.

        I suggest that subscribers will overview the activities of this organization very closely. It is immense rich, including Russian oligarchs. Meyers named budget in the environment of 15.000.000 us $ for the tunnel project.

        I suppose the archaeological part of the list know Eric Meyers, and will listen to what he says.

        Niels Peter Lemche

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 8, 2008
          On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 3:16 PM, Niels Peter Lemche wrote:
          > Dear Chuck and list members,
          >
          > Just back from the EABS Annual meeting in Lisbon, I have to say that this organization,
          > ELAD, is becoming a major problem. Eric Meyers of Duke University gave a report. One
          > of their projects attached to this tunnel is to construct an underground synagogue directly
          > under the Hara mesh-Sharif. The project has at the moment been banned by the Israeli
          > High Court. It could be the beginning of WW III.
          >
          > I suggest that subscribers will overview the activities of this organization very closely. It is
          > immense rich, including Russian oligarchs. Meyers named budget in the environment of
          > 15.000.000 us $ for the tunnel project.
          >
          > I suppose the archaeological part of the list know Eric Meyers, and will listen to what he
          > says.

          Dear Chuck, Niels Peter, and all,

          It is refreshing to read on this list, normally dealing with the past,
          an article that appeared
          in August 18, of this year.

          As for Prof. Lemche's claims, perhaps Eric Meyers was not clear or
          perhaps Eric Meyers
          was himself confused about the facts. Elad is not involved in the
          area that is claimed to
          reach under the Temple Mount. That is a different organization called
          Ateret Cohanim. It
          is important to separate the two when one makes accusations regarding
          the integrity of the
          organizations. Neither is responsible for the actions of the other.

          Monetary funding is very problematic in the City of David. According
          to a Mukhtar of
          Silwan, Hussein Siyam, such funding from Arab states, the Palestinian
          Authority, and even
          European news organizations are provided to create violence and
          conflict against the dig
          among the local residents. Many of these local residents maintain
          various relations with the
          Jewish residents and even work at the visitors' center. Hamas,
          Islamic Jihad, and the PA
          are very active in trying to counter these relations. It is in this
          sense that the report brought
          by Chuck should be viewed. It gives a slanted view of the events, and
          portrays the activities
          of the Hamas and Jihad sponsored committee as purely peaceful. But
          this is not the case
          and they have been involved in violent disturbances, which sometimes
          ended in the hospital
          for some of the workers at the dig.

          Hussein Siyam's interview:
          http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/125787

          In another recent Hebrew article
          http://www.nrg.co.il/online/1/ART1/750/203.html
          Hussein Siyam is quoted as saying, "I will be sincere. There is hate
          between the
          two sides -- the whole idea is to take over the neighborhood. But
          aside from that,
          some truly close personal relationships have also developed between many Jews
          and Arabs of the village. To my home came many times Jewish friends and my
          family accepts them as guests like anyone else. [Q: What about the threats of
          the Palestinian Authority which published fliers in the village
          warning those who
          maintain neighborly relations with Jews or who work at the visitors' center and
          dig site] [A:] My response to the pressure of the PA is that we can't surrender.
          We have no choice but to live in peace. To cause conflict only creates damage
          and we have to fight it together. Already in the beginning I offered
          Davidle to
          employ the Arabs of the village for any purpose in the City of David and this is
          what he does. So even when recently the PA published severe fliers with real
          threats about those who continue to work with the Jews, no one left the place of
          work and the opposite is true -- people are joining all the time."

          Incidentally, in the Hebrew article (which is dated late June), David
          Beeri ("Davidle")
          is quoted as saying that he intends to sue Rafi Greenberg for libel.
          In another note,
          it is interesting that the tour that claimed to separate archaeology
          from politics
          requires the tourists to take part in a political protest tent. Also,
          the claim that "
          the villagers lived comfortably with--if not in precise scholarly
          awareness of--the
          multiple layers of history and culture around them, whether Canaanite, Jewish,
          Persian, Hellenistic, Roman, Byzantine, Islamic, Crusader or Ottoman," is a
          little odd given that there were five synagogues in Silwan during the 1920s of
          which there is no or little memory today.

          Yitzhak Sapir