Re: [ANE-2] Mittani II vocabulary

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 4, 2008
      Thank you -- I can read that at the New York Public Library.

      Where would I look for more recent (perhaps less detailed!) bibliography?

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 4, 2008
        --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "Peter T. Daniels" <grammatim@...>
        wrote:

        > Thank you -- I can read that at the New York Public Library.
        >

        > Where would I look for more recent (perhaps less detailed!)
        bibliography?
        > --
        > Peter T. Daniels grammatim@...

        You might take a look at Wolfram Nagel & Christian
        Eder's treatise on Altsyrien und Agypten in
        Damaszener Mitteilungen 6, 1992. They have a
        section on "Das Aufkommen des Klassischen Streitwagens
        *wrta - in Syrian und Agypten", p 69-81, in which
        they discuss a lot of Indo-Aryan terms, PN's etc
        in relation to chariot terms in Mittanni, etc.
        I just stumbled on it myself and haven't read it
        yet, so don't know if there is anything very new
        in there or not. Perhaps B. Kaldhol would know
        what kind of reception this got...

        E. Adams
        retired non-academic

        > At 21.24 03/08/2008, you wrote:
        > >I need to put a paragraph about the orthography of the Indo-
        Iranian (or
        > >Indo-Aryan) vocabulary from the Mittani texts into a survey
        article, and
        > >there doesn't seem to have been a treatment of these words since
        Thieme in
        > >JAOS in 1960? Is this correct?
        > > --
        > >Peter T. Daniels grammatim@verizon. net
        >
        > On the specific matter _orthography_ the best and more detailed
        discussion
        > I know of is still Annelies Kammenhuber' s Die Arier im Vorderen
        Orient,
        > Heidelberg, Carl Winter, 1968. I'm not aware of specific studies in
        > English. Of course there is much more on matters of linguistics,
        history etc.

        > With best regards,
        > Giuseppe Del Monte
        >
        > Prof. Giuseppe del Monte
        > Professore Ordinario di
        > Storia del Vicino Oriente antico
        > Dpt. Scienze storiche del mondo antico
        > Università di Pisa
        > via Galvani 1 - I-56100 Pisa
        > Fax 39-050-500668 - E-mail <gdelmonte@lunet. it>

      • Giuseppe Del Monte
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 4, 2008
          At 18.13 04/08/2008, Peter T. Daniels wrote:

          > > Thank you -- I can read that at the New York Public Library.
          > >
          > > Where would I look for more recent (perhaps less detailed!)
          >bibliography?
          > > --
          > > Peter T. Daniels grammatim@...

          A very short but excellent summary of the question Near East/Indo-Aryan
          touching also on 'the manifold spellings of Indo-Aryan names' (that, as I
          said, are all collected in Kammenhuber's Arier) is in G. Wilhelm, The
          Hurrians, Warminster 1989, pp. 17-19 (English transl. of the German 1982
          edition).

          At 04.58 05/08/2008, E. Adams wrote:

          >You might take a look at Wolfram Nagel & Christian
          >Eder's treatise on Altsyrien und Agypten in
          >Damaszener Mitteilungen 6, 1992. They have a
          >section on "Das Aufkommen des Klassischen Streitwagens
          >*wrta - in Syrian und Agypten", p 69-81, in which
          >they discuss a lot of Indo-Aryan terms, PN's etc
          <snip>

          Eder and Nagel have recently gone back to the same theme in: 'Grundzüge der
          Streitwagenbewegungen zwischen Tiefeurasien, Südwestasien und Ägäis:
          Altorientalische Forschungen 33 (2006), pp. 42-93.

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 5, 2008
            My thanks to you both.