Re: [ANE-2] Mittani II vocabulary

  • Giuseppe Del Monte
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 3, 2008
      At 21.24 03/08/2008, you wrote:
      >I need to put a paragraph about the orthography of the Indo-Iranian (or
      >Indo-Aryan) vocabulary from the Mittani texts into a survey article, and
      >there doesn't seem to have been a treatment of these words since Thieme in
      >JAOS in 1960? Is this correct?
      > --
      >Peter T. Daniels grammatim@...

      On the specific matter _orthography_ the best and more detailed discussion
      I know of is still Annelies Kammenhuber's Die Arier im Vorderen Orient,
      Heidelberg, Carl Winter, 1968. I'm not aware of specific studies in
      English. Of course there is much more on matters of linguistics, history etc.

      With best regards,
      Giuseppe Del Monte

      Prof. Giuseppe del Monte
      Professore Ordinario di
      Storia del Vicino Oriente antico
      Dpt. Scienze storiche del mondo antico
      Università di Pisa
      via Galvani 1 - I-56100 Pisa
      Fax 39-050-500668 - E-mail <gdelmonte@...>
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 4, 2008
        Thank you -- I can read that at the New York Public Library.

        Where would I look for more recent (perhaps less detailed!) bibliography?

        >I need to put a paragraph about the orthography of the Indo-Iranian (or
        >Indo-Aryan) vocabulary from the Mittani texts into a survey article, and
        >there doesn't seem to have been a treatment of these words since Thieme in
        >JAOS in 1960? Is this correct?
        > --
        >Peter T. Daniels grammatim@verizon. net

        On the specific matter _orthography_ the best and more detailed discussion
        I know of is still Annelies Kammenhuber' s Die Arier im Vorderen Orient,
        Heidelberg, Carl Winter, 1968. I'm not aware of specific studies in
        English. Of course there is much more on matters of linguistics, history etc.

        With best regards,
        Giuseppe Del Monte

        Prof. Giuseppe del Monte
        Professore Ordinario di
        Storia del Vicino Oriente antico
        Dpt. Scienze storiche del mondo antico
        Università di Pisa
        via Galvani 1 - I-56100 Pisa
        Fax 39-050-500668 - E-mail <gdelmonte@lunet. it>

      • E. Adams
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 4, 2008
          --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "Peter T. Daniels" <grammatim@...>
          wrote:

          > Thank you -- I can read that at the New York Public Library.
          >

          > Where would I look for more recent (perhaps less detailed!)
          bibliography?
          > --
          > Peter T. Daniels grammatim@...

          You might take a look at Wolfram Nagel & Christian
          Eder's treatise on Altsyrien und Agypten in
          Damaszener Mitteilungen 6, 1992. They have a
          section on "Das Aufkommen des Klassischen Streitwagens
          *wrta - in Syrian und Agypten", p 69-81, in which
          they discuss a lot of Indo-Aryan terms, PN's etc
          in relation to chariot terms in Mittanni, etc.
          I just stumbled on it myself and haven't read it
          yet, so don't know if there is anything very new
          in there or not. Perhaps B. Kaldhol would know
          what kind of reception this got...

          E. Adams
          retired non-academic

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 4, 2008
            At 18.13 04/08/2008, Peter T. Daniels wrote:

            > > Thank you -- I can read that at the New York Public Library.
            > >
            > > Where would I look for more recent (perhaps less detailed!)
            >bibliography?
            > > --
            > > Peter T. Daniels grammatim@...

            A very short but excellent summary of the question Near East/Indo-Aryan
            touching also on 'the manifold spellings of Indo-Aryan names' (that, as I
            said, are all collected in Kammenhuber's Arier) is in G. Wilhelm, The
            Hurrians, Warminster 1989, pp. 17-19 (English transl. of the German 1982
            edition).

            At 04.58 05/08/2008, E. Adams wrote:

            >You might take a look at Wolfram Nagel & Christian
            >Eder's treatise on Altsyrien und Agypten in
            >Damaszener Mitteilungen 6, 1992. They have a
            >section on "Das Aufkommen des Klassischen Streitwagens
            >*wrta - in Syrian und Agypten", p 69-81, in which
            >they discuss a lot of Indo-Aryan terms, PN's etc
            <snip>

            Eder and Nagel have recently gone back to the same theme in: 'Grundzüge der
            Streitwagenbewegungen zwischen Tiefeurasien, Südwestasien und Ägäis:
            Altorientalische Forschungen 33 (2006), pp. 42-93.

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 5, 2008
              My thanks to you both.