Mittani II vocabulary

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 3, 2008
      I need to put a paragraph about the orthography of the Indo-Iranian (or Indo-Aryan) vocabulary from the Mittani texts into a survey article, and there doesn't seem to have been a treatment of these words since Thieme in JAOS in 1960? Is this correct?

    • Giuseppe Del Monte
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 3, 2008
        At 21.24 03/08/2008, you wrote:
        >I need to put a paragraph about the orthography of the Indo-Iranian (or
        >Indo-Aryan) vocabulary from the Mittani texts into a survey article, and
        >there doesn't seem to have been a treatment of these words since Thieme in
        >JAOS in 1960? Is this correct?
        > --
        >Peter T. Daniels grammatim@...

        On the specific matter _orthography_ the best and more detailed discussion
        I know of is still Annelies Kammenhuber's Die Arier im Vorderen Orient,
        Heidelberg, Carl Winter, 1968. I'm not aware of specific studies in
        English. Of course there is much more on matters of linguistics, history etc.

        With best regards,
        Giuseppe Del Monte

        Prof. Giuseppe del Monte
        Professore Ordinario di
        Storia del Vicino Oriente antico
        Dpt. Scienze storiche del mondo antico
        Università di Pisa
        via Galvani 1 - I-56100 Pisa
        Fax 39-050-500668 - E-mail <gdelmonte@...>
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 4, 2008
          Thank you -- I can read that at the New York Public Library.

          Where would I look for more recent (perhaps less detailed!) bibliography?

          >I need to put a paragraph about the orthography of the Indo-Iranian (or
          >Indo-Aryan) vocabulary from the Mittani texts into a survey article, and
          >there doesn't seem to have been a treatment of these words since Thieme in
          >JAOS in 1960? Is this correct?
          > --
          >Peter T. Daniels grammatim@verizon. net

          On the specific matter _orthography_ the best and more detailed discussion
          I know of is still Annelies Kammenhuber' s Die Arier im Vorderen Orient,
          Heidelberg, Carl Winter, 1968. I'm not aware of specific studies in
          English. Of course there is much more on matters of linguistics, history etc.

          With best regards,
          Giuseppe Del Monte

          Prof. Giuseppe del Monte
          Professore Ordinario di
          Storia del Vicino Oriente antico
          Dpt. Scienze storiche del mondo antico
          Università di Pisa
          via Galvani 1 - I-56100 Pisa
          Fax 39-050-500668 - E-mail <gdelmonte@lunet. it>

        • E. Adams
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 4, 2008
            --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "Peter T. Daniels" <grammatim@...>
            wrote:

            > Thank you -- I can read that at the New York Public Library.
            >

            > Where would I look for more recent (perhaps less detailed!)
            bibliography?
            > --
            > Peter T. Daniels grammatim@...

            You might take a look at Wolfram Nagel & Christian
            Eder's treatise on Altsyrien und Agypten in
            Damaszener Mitteilungen 6, 1992. They have a
            section on "Das Aufkommen des Klassischen Streitwagens
            *wrta - in Syrian und Agypten", p 69-81, in which
            they discuss a lot of Indo-Aryan terms, PN's etc
            in relation to chariot terms in Mittanni, etc.
            I just stumbled on it myself and haven't read it
            yet, so don't know if there is anything very new
            in there or not. Perhaps B. Kaldhol would know
            what kind of reception this got...

            E. Adams
            retired non-academic

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 4, 2008
              At 18.13 04/08/2008, Peter T. Daniels wrote:

              > > Thank you -- I can read that at the New York Public Library.
              > >
              > > Where would I look for more recent (perhaps less detailed!)
              >bibliography?
              > > --
              > > Peter T. Daniels grammatim@...

              A very short but excellent summary of the question Near East/Indo-Aryan
              touching also on 'the manifold spellings of Indo-Aryan names' (that, as I
              said, are all collected in Kammenhuber's Arier) is in G. Wilhelm, The
              Hurrians, Warminster 1989, pp. 17-19 (English transl. of the German 1982
              edition).

              At 04.58 05/08/2008, E. Adams wrote:

              >You might take a look at Wolfram Nagel & Christian
              >Eder's treatise on Altsyrien und Agypten in
              >Damaszener Mitteilungen 6, 1992. They have a
              >section on "Das Aufkommen des Klassischen Streitwagens
              >*wrta - in Syrian und Agypten", p 69-81, in which
              >they discuss a lot of Indo-Aryan terms, PN's etc
              <snip>

              Eder and Nagel have recently gone back to the same theme in: 'Grundzüge der
              Streitwagenbewegungen zwischen Tiefeurasien, Südwestasien und Ägäis:
              Altorientalische Forschungen 33 (2006), pp. 42-93.

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 5, 2008
                My thanks to you both.