Re: Mesha stela: ryt reading corrected to hyt?

  • AkDir. Dr. Reinhard G. Lehmann
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2, 2008
      It is difficult to decide.
      All that I can say for sure is that Lemaire's reading is more likely than Schade's, who did not take into account the material shape of the fragments at all.
      Also Lemaire's reading seems not *absolutely* clear for me, but in my opinion it is the best we have at the moment.
      The squeeze is in a really disenchanting condition, esp. at the margins.

      At the MICAH conference in Mainz, November 14-16, a staff member of our
      'Forschungsstelle' will give a lecture on another margin passage (line 11) of the Mesha inscription.

      R.G.Lehmann

      --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, Frank Polak <frankha@...> wrote:

      > Dear Reinhard
      > And what was your reading? Is Lemaire right?
      > Best,
      > Frank Polak
    • Yitzhak Sapir
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 9, 2008
        On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 8:27 PM, AkDir. Dr. Reinhard G. Lehmann wrote:
        > It is difficult to decide.
        > All that I can say for sure is that Lemaire's reading is more likely than Schade's, who did not take into account the material shape of the fragments at all.
        > Also Lemaire's reading seems not *absolutely* clear for me, but in my opinion it is the best we have at the moment.
        > The squeeze is in a really disenchanting condition, esp. at the margins.
        >
        > At the MICAH conference in Mainz, November 14-16, a staff member of our
        > 'Forschungsstelle' will give a lecture on another margin passage (line 11) of the Mesha inscription.
        >
        > R.G.Lehmann

        Dear All,

        I meant to comment on this. I was considering when I came upon the
        article whether
        to comment on the subject given the time that passed since. I figured
        it was worth it
        because others may come upon the thread and would get a mistaken impression. It
        turns out it was worth it much more. Thank you very much, Reinhard,
        for this valuable
        information!

        Yitzhak Sapir