Re: Mesha stela: ryt reading corrected to hyt?

  • AkDir. Dr. Reinhard G. Lehmann
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2, 2008
      > Today I happened upon IEJ 55/2 (2005), p. 205 - 208, an article by Aaron Schade,
      > "New Photographs Supporting the Reading ryt in Line 12 of the Mesha
      > Inscription".
      > It has large photographs of the squeeze.
      >
      > Yitzhak Sapir

      In April this year, I studied the squeeze in the Louvre Museum and made some high resolution makro photographs of line 12 and other passages.

      The photographs by Aaron Schade in that IEJ article, from a technical point of view, are not worth the paper they are printed on.

      Reinhard G. Lehmann
      Academic Director
      Research Unit on Ancient Hebrew & Epigraphy
      Johannes Gutenberg University of Mainz
    • Frank Polak
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 2, 2008
        Dear Reinhard
        And what was your reading? Is Lemaire right?
        Best,
        Frank Polak

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 2, 2008
          It is difficult to decide.
          All that I can say for sure is that Lemaire's reading is more likely than Schade's, who did not take into account the material shape of the fragments at all.
          Also Lemaire's reading seems not *absolutely* clear for me, but in my opinion it is the best we have at the moment.
          The squeeze is in a really disenchanting condition, esp. at the margins.

          At the MICAH conference in Mainz, November 14-16, a staff member of our
          'Forschungsstelle' will give a lecture on another margin passage (line 11) of the Mesha inscription.

          R.G.Lehmann

          --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, Frank Polak <frankha@...> wrote:

          > Dear Reinhard
          > And what was your reading? Is Lemaire right?
          > Best,
          > Frank Polak
        • Yitzhak Sapir
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 9, 2008
            On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 8:27 PM, AkDir. Dr. Reinhard G. Lehmann wrote:
            > It is difficult to decide.
            > All that I can say for sure is that Lemaire's reading is more likely than Schade's, who did not take into account the material shape of the fragments at all.
            > Also Lemaire's reading seems not *absolutely* clear for me, but in my opinion it is the best we have at the moment.
            > The squeeze is in a really disenchanting condition, esp. at the margins.
            >
            > At the MICAH conference in Mainz, November 14-16, a staff member of our
            > 'Forschungsstelle' will give a lecture on another margin passage (line 11) of the Mesha inscription.
            >
            > R.G.Lehmann

            Dear All,

            I meant to comment on this. I was considering when I came upon the
            article whether
            to comment on the subject given the time that passed since. I figured
            it was worth it
            because others may come upon the thread and would get a mistaken impression. It
            turns out it was worth it much more. Thank you very much, Reinhard,
            for this valuable
            information!

            Yitzhak Sapir