Re: [ANE-2] "Egyptian Hieoglyphs in IIIrd Century Spain" ?

  • Jeffrey B. Gibson
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2008
      goranson@... wrote:
      > >From ane-2 list archives:
      >
      > Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 17:49:46 +0200...
      >
      > In last week's Explorator, D. Meadows tells about an important
      > epigraphical discovery in Spain.
      > What he doesn't tell is that one of the most curious things there are a
      > few ostraca with egyptian hieroglyphs ... in a IIIrd Century AD settings.
      > The site also has some paleochristian remains (the most notable a
      > drawing of a Calvary).
      > In
      > http://terraeantiqvae.blogia.com/2006/060801-alava.-iruna-veleia-desentierra-jeroglificos-y-grafias-en-latin-de-la-historia-d.php
      > you'll find very nice photos of the ostraca.
      > For those not aquainted. Iru´┐Żea Veleia is located in current Alava
      > province. This area has been traditionaly held as a rather backwood
      > location regarding romanization.

      Apparently, there's to be an international conference on the dig:

      http://veleia.com/english/noticia_detallada.php?niv=6¬icia=30

      Can anyone tell me what the titulus on the cross in the Calvary scene
      reads. It looks like RIP, but the intimal letter is odd.

      Jeffrey

      --
      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
      1500 W. Pratt Blvd.