"Egyptian Hieoglyphs in IIIrd Century Spain" ?

  • goranson@duke.edu
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2008
      From ane-2 list archives:

      Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 17:49:46 +0200...

      In last week's Explorator, D. Meadows tells about an important
      epigraphical discovery in Spain.
      What he doesn't tell is that one of the most curious things there are a
      few ostraca with egyptian hieroglyphs ... in a IIIrd Century AD settings.
      The site also has some paleochristian remains (the most notable a
      drawing of a Calvary).
      In
      http://terraeantiqvae.blogia.com/2006/060801-alava.-iruna-veleia-desentierra-jeroglificos-y-grafias-en-latin-de-la-historia-d.php
      you'll find very nice photos of the ostraca.
      For those not aquainted. Iruñea Veleia is located in current Alava
      province. This area has been traditionaly held as a rather backwood
      location regarding romanization.
      Any comments ?

      Werner Llácer
      IT Project Manager

      *******
      An August 1, 2008 online report:
      http://www.noticiasdealava.com/ediciones/2008/08/01/sociedad/euskadi/d01eus16.987305.php

      Anyone know more about this?

      Stephen Goranson
      http://www.duke.edu/~goranosn

    • Jeffrey B. Gibson
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2008
        goranson@... wrote:
        > >From ane-2 list archives:
        >
        > Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 17:49:46 +0200...
        >
        > In last week's Explorator, D. Meadows tells about an important
        > epigraphical discovery in Spain.
        > What he doesn't tell is that one of the most curious things there are a
        > few ostraca with egyptian hieroglyphs ... in a IIIrd Century AD settings.
        > The site also has some paleochristian remains (the most notable a
        > drawing of a Calvary).
        > In
        > http://terraeantiqvae.blogia.com/2006/060801-alava.-iruna-veleia-desentierra-jeroglificos-y-grafias-en-latin-de-la-historia-d.php
        > you'll find very nice photos of the ostraca.
        > For those not aquainted. Iru�ea Veleia is located in current Alava
        > province. This area has been traditionaly held as a rather backwood
        > location regarding romanization.

        Apparently, there's to be an international conference on the dig:

        http://veleia.com/english/noticia_detallada.php?niv=6¬icia=30

        Can anyone tell me what the titulus on the cross in the Calvary scene
        reads. It looks like RIP, but the intimal letter is odd.

        Jeffrey

        --
        Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
        1500 W. Pratt Blvd.