Re: [ANE-2] Re: Wittgenstein

  • Ariel L. Szczupak
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 4, 2008
      At 01:35 AM 7/4/2008, George F Somsel wrote:
      >I recall reading this many years ago in a philosophy class under Dr.
      >Nicholas Wolterstorff who now teaches Philosophical Theology at
      >Yale. I also recall that Logical Positivism fell when it became
      >evident that the radical empiricism which it attempted to use to
      >build it Weltanschauung proved insufficient.
      >The correct version of the phrase is "wovon man nicht reden kann,
      >darüber muß man schweigen."

      Which is, bottom line, a tautology made into a witticism (as was
      PTD's version, intentionally or not). The "disambiguative" power of
      Wittgenstein, separating real problems from semantical ones, is in
      his "later" stage ("Philosophical Investigations"). I like to think
      that his stint as a gardener helped him in that :)

      Good intro article on Wittgenstein:

      http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/wittgenstein/

      Ariel.

      ---
      Ariel L. Szczupak
      AMIS-JLM (Ricercar Ltd.)
      POB 4707, Jerusalem, Israel 91406
      Phone: +972-2-5619660 Fax: +972-2-5634203
      ane.als@...
      ---
      http://yvetteszczupakthomas.blogspot.com/
      http://undiamantbrut.blogspot.com/
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 4, 2008
        Of course intentional! It was inscribed on a placard over the door to the U Chicago Linguistics Department lounge in the 1970s. (Including "sprechen" instead of "reden." The assonance is better.)