Enuma Elish & comparative mythology

  • Trudy Kawami
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 27, 2006
      Dear Colleagues,

      On another list devoted to a different region a query regarding the
      Enuma Elish and its possible Indo-European connections/parallels, etc.
      was posted. Is there any recent (last decade or so) discussion of this
      FROM THE ANE POINT OF VIEW? All suggested bibliography greatly
      appreciated.

      Trudy S. Kawami

    • Robert Whiting
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 31, 2006
        On Mon, 27 Mar 2006, Trudy Kawami wrote:

        > Dear Colleagues,
        >
        > On another list devoted to a different region a query regarding the
        > Enuma Elish and its possible Indo-European connections/parallels, etc.
        > was posted. Is there any recent (last decade or so) discussion of this
        > FROM THE ANE POINT OF VIEW? All suggested bibliography greatly
        > appreciated.

        On connections between Enuma Elish and Greek mythology/cosmogony/theogony,
        see

        West, Martin L. <i>The East Face of Helicon. West Asiatic Elements in
        Greek Poetry and Myth</i>. Oxford: Clarendon 1997 (around p. 282).

        On the transmission of Babylonian cosmongeny, see

        Dalley, S. and A. T. Reyes. "Mesopotamian Contact and Influence in the
        Greek World." In: S. Dalley (ed.). <i>The Legacy of Mesopotamia</i>.
        Oxford: Oxford University Press 1998, 85-124.

        and

        Talon, Philippe. "Enuma Eli$ and the Transmission of Babylonian Cosmology
        to the West." In: R. M. Whiting (ed.). Mythology and Mythologies.
        Methodological Approaches to Intercultural Influences. Melammu Symposia 2.
        Helsinki: The Neo-Assyrian Text Corpus Project 2001, 265-277.

        There is a nice picture of Okeanos (Apsu) and Tethys (Tiamat) by Sophilos
        (ca. 580 BC) at http://www.theoi.com/image/O1.1Okeanos.jpg

        Bob Whiting
        whiting@...
      • Miguel Valerio
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 2, 2006
          I would then also recommend Mary Bachvarova's article available
          online at:
          http://www.duke.edu/web/classics/grbs/FTexts/45/Bachvarova.pdf

          Best,
          Miguel

          ---

          Miguel Valério
          Undergraduate Student of Anthropology &
          On-his-own-researcher of Ancient History and Languages

          Faculdade Ciências Sociais e Humanas
          (Universidade Nova de Lisboa)
          Portugal

          LLama Gratis a cualquier PC del Mundo.
          http://es.voice.yahoo.com
        • victor avigdor hurowitz
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 2, 2006
            I just had a brief look at the article recommended her, and although it
            is interesting in its own right it has nothing to do with
            Enuma-elish. It does deal with, however Atrahasis which is calls
            erroneously "the Epic of Creation". It also mentions Bilgame$ and Aga as
            well as Eridu Genesis and I Kings 12.
            Best,
            Victor Hurowitz
            Dept. of Bible, Archaeology and ANE Studies
            Ben-Gurion University of the Negev
            Beer-Sheva, Israel