podcast: Geopolitics of Archaeology

  • cejo@uchicago.edu
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2 9:46 AM
      Chicago Public Radio's Worldview program has a series of very interesting broadcasts (also available
      as podcasts) on Geopolitics of Archaeology

      "We explore the politics swirling around the fields of archaeology, anthropology and history. We’ll
      dig up the forgotten roots of “Western Civilization,” and we’ll find out what happens when stolen
      antiquities end up in museums and universities. You’ll hear the voices of scholars you won’t hear
      anywhere else as we explore a new model of archaeology looking past imperial, national and
      ethno-centric worldviews to explore our shared heritage."

      Segments include

      Biblical Archaeology
      Sandra Scham — Lecturer of Archaeology at Catholic University; Contributing Editor to Archaeology
      Magazine; Editor of the forthcoming book Forgotten Past: Reader in the Archaeology of Palestine by
      Palestinians

      Repatriation of Native American Remains and Artifacts
      Tamara Bray — Associate Professor of Anthropology at Wayne State University; Author of The Future of
      the Past: Archaeologists, Native Americans and Repatriation; Author of the edited volume The
      Archaeology and Politics of Food and Feasting in Early States and Empires

      Global Market for Stolen Antiquities
      Neil Brodie — Director of Cultural Heritage Resource at Stanford University’s Archaeology Center;
      Co-editor of Archaeology, Cultural Heritage, and the Antiquities Trade
      Richard Leventhal — Professor of Anthropology; Curator of the Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology
      at the University of Pennsylvania; Co-editor of Archaeology in the Mediterranean: The Present State
      and Future Scope of a Discipline

      Stolen Antiquities and the Law
      Patty Gerstenblith — Director of the Program in Cultural Heritage Law at DePaul University; Founding
      President of the Lawyers’ Committee for Cultural Heritage Preservation

      The Origins of Western Civilization — 2 Parts
      Martin Bernal — Professor Emeritus of Government and Near Eastern Studies at Cornell University
      Author of Black Athena: The Afroasiatic Roots of Western Civilization: (Volume 1: The Fabrication of
      Ancient Greece 1785-1985) (Volume 2: The Archaeological and Documentary Evidence) and (Volume 3: The
      Linguistic Evidence); Author of Black Athena Writes Back: Martin Bernal Responds to His Critics
      Published by Rutgers University Press

      Archaeological Tourism's Effect on People and Heritage
      Lynn Meskell — Professor of Anthropology at Stanford University; Founding Editor of the Journal of
      Social Archaeology; Author of the co-edited volume Embedding Ethics: Shifting Boundaries of the
      Anthropological Profession; Author of the edited volume Archaeology under Fire: Nationalism,
      Politics and Heritage in the Eastern Mediterranean and Middle East; Author of Private Life in New
      Kingdom Egypt

      Creating a New Paradigm for Archaeology
      Phil Duke — Professor of Anthropology at Fort Lewis College in Durango, Colorado; Author of The
      Tourists Gaze, The Cretans Glance: Archaeology and Tourism on a Greek Island
      Yannis Hamilakis — Senior Lecturer in Archaeology at University of Southampton, UK; Author of The
      Nation and its Ruins: Antiquity, Archaeology, and National Imagination in Greece
      Both Co-authors of the edited volume Archaeology and Capitalism: From Ethics to Politics

      Listen to them at:
      http://www.chicagopublicradio.org/Program_WV_Series.aspx?seriesID=82

      -Chuck Jones-
    • Orel, Sara
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 2 10:21 AM
        Chuck --
        Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention. I have downloaded the podcasts already! Do you know if they are planning more of them?
        Sara

        Sara Orel, Ph.D.
        Professor of Art History
        Truman State University