Re: [ANE-2] A Rose by any name

  • Joan Griffith
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 27, 2008
      Trudy,

      Thanks for clarifying that.

      Well, list, I apologize. I'm sure Trudy is right, and not the one confused.
      However, a few things are stuck in my mind from reading parts of a couple of
      Jacob Neusner's books while in the library. Since he seems to have a long
      series of books about the Jews in Babylonia, I picked up in the middle or
      later. For one thing, I was amazed and distracted by some of the silly
      things the people would do... they simply were not educated people. A story
      of Sholem Aleichem comes to mind... However, as Neusner pointed out, they
      were interested in learning to follow God so they would not be carried off
      captive from their homeland again, once they returned home, and they looked
      to the rabbis. The Rabbis were not official priests, but were teachers, as
      well as "leading men" who would go about seeing that walls were not about to
      fall over & so on.

      I did not recall this was in Persian times, and I don't think this was
      particularly emphasized by Neusner, who was more focused on what the Jewish
      citizens were doing. <sigh> I wish I could remember EVERYTHING.

      Joan Griffith

      On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 10:52 AM, Trudy Kawami <
      tkawami@...> wrote:

      > Why would a Babylonian king try to impose the worship of Ahura Mazda in
      > place of Marduk or other Babylonian deity? And how could he do this
      > when the Mazda-worshipping Persians had not yet conquered Babylon? I am
      > more than a bit confused.
      >
      > Trudy Kawami, NYC

      Joan

      "Genius is more often found in a cracked pot than in a whole one." E.B.
      White