evil eye texts

  • Trudy Kawami
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 19, 2008
      In the article linked below is a statement that 5,000 yrs ago texts
      mentioned the evil eye curse. Obviously there is hyperbole in the dates,
      but it seems there are other exaggerations as well. I cannot think of an
      identifiable "evil eye amulet" before the first mill CE. Is there
      something I am missing?

      http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/33259/title/Green_reapers

      Trudy S. Kawami, Ph.D.

      Director of Research

      Arthur M. Sackler Foundation

      461 East 57th Street

      New York, NY 10022

      www.arthurmsacklerfdn.org

    • knashef
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 20, 2008
        I wish to comment on the report in ScienceNews entitled "Green
        Reapers". According to the report "green beads" originating in the
        Natoufian with time also served "as amulets to ward off the evil
        eye". In support for their theory the interviewed archaeologists
        mention "Evil eye traditions still exist, especially in
        Mediterranean and Aegean regions". I don't know about the Aegean,
        but in respect to the "Mediterranean", such modern beads are common
        in the Arab World, especially in Palestine. They are however blue
        and not green. Instead of amulets to ward off evil or fertility
        charms for the beads of the Natoufian one could simply interpret
        them as ornamental beads or jewellery among groups experiencing
        first forms of affluence.

        Khaled Nashef, Amman
        knashef@...