Re: [ANE-2] ANET Quote: "Sixth Year"

  • sbudin@camden.rutgers.edu
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 19, 2008
      It sounds like the repeated litany from Atrahasis, how the peoples
      suffered several years of famine before the flood attempt. Was it a
      literary piece you meant?

      -Stephanie Budin

      Quoting Chris Weimer <chris.m.weimer@...>:

      > Can anyone tell me where in Pritchard's ANET or elsewhere can I find a
      > text dealing with I think either a famine or a besieged city and where
      > it is listed year by year what the people eat. All I remember is that
      > in the sixth year, the people resort to cannibalism. Does this passage
      > sound familiar to anyone? I'm pretty sure I read it in ANET, although
      > it is possible, I suppose, that I might have read it elsewhere.
      >
      > Thanks in advance,
      >
      > Chris Weimer
      > University of Memphis

    • victor avigdor hurowitz
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 19, 2008
        Have a look at Atrahasis. YOu can find your passage in Lambert and
        Millard's edition on pp. 112-115 S vi 1-15. It's the Assyrian
        recension. The Old Babyonian version has something parallel on pp. 78-81
        II iv 1 ff but it breaks off.
        Victor Hurowitz
        BGU

        On Thu, 19 Jun 2008, Chris Weimer wrote:

        > Can anyone tell me where in Pritchard's ANET or elsewhere can I find a
        > text dealing with I think either a famine or a besieged city and where
        > it is listed year by year what the people eat. All I remember is that
        > in the sixth year, the people resort to cannibalism. Does this passage
        > sound familiar to anyone? I'm pretty sure I read it in ANET, although
        > it is possible, I suppose, that I might have read it elsewhere.
        >
        > Thanks in advance,
        >
        > Chris Weimer
        > University of Memphis

      • Chris Weimer
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 20, 2008
          That's certainly what I was looking for! I found it in Pritchard too,
          in case any one has that instead, p. 105. Many thanks to both of you
          for pointing it out.

          Chris Weimer
          University of Memphis