ANET Quote: "Sixth Year"

  • Chris Weimer
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 19, 2008
      Can anyone tell me where in Pritchard's ANET or elsewhere can I find a
      text dealing with I think either a famine or a besieged city and where
      it is listed year by year what the people eat. All I remember is that
      in the sixth year, the people resort to cannibalism. Does this passage
      sound familiar to anyone? I'm pretty sure I read it in ANET, although
      it is possible, I suppose, that I might have read it elsewhere.

      Thanks in advance,

      Chris Weimer
      University of Memphis
    • sbudin@camden.rutgers.edu
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 19, 2008
        It sounds like the repeated litany from Atrahasis, how the peoples
        suffered several years of famine before the flood attempt. Was it a
        literary piece you meant?

        -Stephanie Budin

        Quoting Chris Weimer <chris.m.weimer@...>:

        > Can anyone tell me where in Pritchard's ANET or elsewhere can I find a
        > text dealing with I think either a famine or a besieged city and where
        > it is listed year by year what the people eat. All I remember is that
        > in the sixth year, the people resort to cannibalism. Does this passage
        > sound familiar to anyone? I'm pretty sure I read it in ANET, although
        > it is possible, I suppose, that I might have read it elsewhere.
        >
        > Thanks in advance,
        >
        > Chris Weimer
        > University of Memphis

      • victor avigdor hurowitz
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 19, 2008
          Have a look at Atrahasis. YOu can find your passage in Lambert and
          Millard's edition on pp. 112-115 S vi 1-15. It's the Assyrian
          recension. The Old Babyonian version has something parallel on pp. 78-81
          II iv 1 ff but it breaks off.
          Victor Hurowitz
          BGU

          On Thu, 19 Jun 2008, Chris Weimer wrote:

          > Can anyone tell me where in Pritchard's ANET or elsewhere can I find a
          > text dealing with I think either a famine or a besieged city and where
          > it is listed year by year what the people eat. All I remember is that
          > in the sixth year, the people resort to cannibalism. Does this passage
          > sound familiar to anyone? I'm pretty sure I read it in ANET, although
          > it is possible, I suppose, that I might have read it elsewhere.
          >
          > Thanks in advance,
          >
          > Chris Weimer
          > University of Memphis

        • Chris Weimer
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 20, 2008
            That's certainly what I was looking for! I found it in Pritchard too,
            in case any one has that instead, p. 105. Many thanks to both of you
            for pointing it out.

            Chris Weimer
            University of Memphis