CFP: Volume on Ancient Translation

  • sbudin@camden.rutgers.edu
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 16, 2008
      Of possible interest. -Stephanie Budin

      A Sea of Languages: Rethinking the History of Western Translation

      Translation in the multi-lingual and multi-cultural world of the ancient
      Mediterranean was a manifest necessity, and yet there have been very few
      studies on the role of translation and translators in this rich linguistic
      environment. Even when authors such as Cicero and St. Jerome are discussed
      they are too often seen primarily as archaic precursors of modern Western
      translation theory and divorced from their cultural context. With the
      current upsurge of interest in translation and the explosive growth of the
      field of translation studies, we feel that this is an opportune time for
      scholars of the ancient Mediterranean to contribute to the present debate by
      complicating the too-often monolithic representation of ancient translation
      practices and to examine translation in this region as a field worthy of
      investigation in its own right, as a multifaceted historically and
      culturally grounded activity.

      We invite contributions to a proposed volume on translation and translators
      in the ancient Mediterranean which will place both in their historical,
      linguistic, literary, and cultural contexts. We seek papers from all regions
      and all time periods up to the 5th century CE. Questions we would like
      potential contributors to consider are: how did ancient translators
      function? Under what constraints did they operate? How did literary
      translators position themselves vis-à-vis other forms of translation? What
      role did official translation play? Can we recover ancient theories of
      translation?

      We seek particularly seek papers that touch on the following topics, though
      papers on all subjects are welcome:

      - ancient theories of translation
      - translation and cultural appropriation
      - official translations and translators
      - interpreting and oral translation
      - translation as literary transformation
      - the physical and temporal environment of translation
      - translator loyalties and translators as social agents
      - religious translation and its constraints
      - pseudo-translations

      Abstracts of 500 words should be submitted to either Siobhán McElduff
      (siobhan.mcelduff@...) or Enrica Sciarrino (
      enrica.sciarrino@...) by September 15, 2008. Notification of
      acceptance will be sent out by October 15, 2008. Please provide abstracts
      within the email itself or as attachments in MS Word.

      Siobhán McElduff
      --
      Assistant Professor of Latin Language and Literature
      University of British Columbia