colloquium announcement

  • Jim West
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 12, 2008
      We are very pleased to announce that Ian Young, Robert Rezetko, and
      Martin Ehrensvärd will be our guests on the Biblical Studies List
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/biblical-studies> July 20- August 2
      discussing their work on linguistic dating of Biblical texts. Their
      forthcoming volumes on the subject, mentioned the other day
      <http://jwest.wordpress.com/2008/06/10/does-linguistic-evidence-help-us-date-hebrew-bible-texts/>,
      are due out in the Fall. In preparation for the 'colloquium' the
      authors will put together a substantial summary of their position for
      the benefit of the list members and post it at the outset.

      Questions will be vetted by list moderators and then the triumvirate
      will consult and respond.

      It should be an excellent discussion and informative to boot. You are
      invited to participate if you wish.

      --
      ++++++

      Jim West, ThD

      http://jwest.wordpress.com -- Blog
      http://drjewest.googlepages.com - Biblical Studies Resources
    • Jim West
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 27, 2012
        I am exceedingly pleased to announce that, following our colloquia with
        Jodi Magness and Avraham Faust, Eric Meyers of Duke University will be
        our guest on the biblical studies list
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/biblical-studies/> to discuss his new
        volume, 'Alexander to Constantine
        <http://yalepress.yale.edu/yupbooks/book.asp?isbn=9780300141795>'.

        /Drawing on the most recent, groundbreaking archaeological research,
        Eric M. Meyers and Mark A. Chancey re-narrate the history of ancient
        Palestine in this richly illustrated and expertly integrated book.
        Spanning from the conquest of Alexander the Great in the fourth century
        BCE until the reign of the Roman emperor Constantine in the fourth
        century CE, they synthesize archaeological evidence with ancient
        literary sources (including the Bible) to offer a sustained overview of
        the tumultuous intellectual and religious changes that impacted world
        history during the Greco-Roman period./

        Professor Meyers will be joining us January 13-20, 2013. This will
        surely give those interested in taking part opportunity to get a copy of
        the book and fully digest it.

        --
        ++++

        Jim West, ThD