Tiberias digs

  • David Hall
    Message 1 of 4 , May 23, 2008
      This is a link to a photo taken in April 2008 of a presumed Roman-Byzantine gate complex south of the cardo in the ruins of Roman era Tiberias.

      http://dqhall59.com/tiberias2008

      The Israeli Antiquities Authority had plans to turn the area into an archaeological park.

      There was also a team of archaeologists digging in the ruins of a town on the south side of the hot springs (Hammat Tiberias).

      David Q. Hall
      dqhall59@...
    • eliot braun
      Message 2 of 4 , May 24, 2008
        This was originally excavated decades ago, I think in the early 60's and later silted up.It has been re-excavated recently.

        David Hall <dqhall59@...> wrote: This is a link to a photo taken in April 2008 of a presumed Roman-Byzantine gate complex south of the cardo in the ruins of Roman era Tiberias.

        http://dqhall59.com/tiberias2008

        The Israeli Antiquities Authority had plans to turn the area into an archaeological park.

        There was also a team of archaeologists digging in the ruins of a town on the south side of the hot springs (Hammat Tiberias).

        David Q. Hall
        dqhall59@...

        Eliot Braun, Ph D
        PO Box 21, Har Adar 90836 Israel
        Tel 972-2-5345687, Cell 972-50-2231096

      • dastacey62
        Message 3 of 4 , May 24, 2008
          Actually in 1973-4:- for plans, and photos from that time see my
          book 'Excavations at Tiberias, 1973-1974' IAA Reports 21 (2004).

          David Stacey

          Message 4 of 4 , May 25, 2008
            Thanks for the input.  Yizhar-Hirchfeld published "Excavations at Tiberias 1989-1994" in 2004. This seems to be the only major source about Tiberias I listed in online search that is within an hour's drive of my location. Will try to get to read it later.

            The first century Roman ruins around the lake included Tiberias, Migdal, Capernaum, Chorazin, Bethsaida, Gamala, Hippos (Susita). Are you aware of any more?

            I talked to a guide at the Beit Ha'oganim museum at Ein Gev who told me a Nabatean inscription was found at Hippos-Susita by members of the Kibbutz. The Nabateans may have had limited influence in the area between 100 B.C. and 106 A.D. when the Romans annexed the Nabatean lands of Jordan and Northern Arabia.

            Sincerely:

            David Q. Hall
            dqhall59@...