Re: Arne Furumark

  • dp@exegesisinternational.org
    Message 1 of 7 , May 22 2:34 AM
      Aren,

      Yes, Mycenaean pottery was his true specialization. In fact, I found a copy of his 1972 publication, Mycenaean Pottery II: Chronology, for sale online, and I am anxiously awaiting its arrival.

      Since you brought up the technicality, I will mention that I betrayed my greater interest in the ANE by inferring the importance of Mycenaean pottery to the ANE via trade, etc. My apologies to Greece and the Peloponnese! I intended no slight against them.

      Doug Petrovich
      Novosibirsk, Russia

    • arenmaeir
      Message 2 of 7 , May 22 3:47 AM
        Doug,
        Do keep in mind though, that since Furumark's work, the study of Late
        Helladic pottery has advanced "in leaps and bounds," and one must
        relate to the more recent studies, such as by French, Mountjoy, S.
        Sherratt, Voigtländer, and others.
        Needless to say, if you are intersted in the Levantine manifestations
        of the LH pottery, both imported and locally-made, during the LB and
        Iron I, you should also refer to works such as by Hankey, Leonard,
        Kling, T. Dothan, A. Zukerman, Yasur-Landau, even yours truly.

        Best,
        Aren Maeir
        www.dig-gath.org