Re: [ANE-2] Kenites

  • Sam WOLFF
    Message 1 of 9 , May 3, 2008
      Just as a general tip for researchers: It seems like many list members are unaware of the great value of the IAA's Rockefeller Library database in searching for references. Not only are books noted in this database but also articles, and references within articles. For example, for 'Kenites' there are five references.

      To access this database, just go into the IAA website, click on library--search--and then choose according to author, title, or, in the case of Kenites or archaeological sites or whatever, subject. You can do this in English or Hebrew (I'm not sure how the Hebrew appears if you don't have Windows Hebrew enabled).

      The link is http://libantiquities.exlibris.co.il/F

      Happy reference searching,

      Sam Wolff
      Jerusalem

      Gene Greenwood wrote:

      Lately I have come across several unreferenced references to the Kenites (Jethro et al) as metalsmiths. Do any of you have any referenced references to this identification.

    • Yigal Levin
      Message 2 of 9 , May 4, 2008
        Thnaks. Intersting, that for "Kenites" you get a totally different selection on RAMBI:
        http://aleph1.libnet.ac.il/F/AVD5M9CLJD7A35RE54RD1KMH7848H2U3R6QJIQJ9AR392D6792-01221?func=find-acc&acc_sequence=000112413

        Anothe great tool, with which some may not be familiar.

        Yigal Levin

        Message 3 of 9 , May 20, 2008
          Under: "King and Queen of Demons"

          "...a third queen of the demons and wife of Samael, "Na'amah," the
          sister of Tubal Cain and the "mother of Ashmodai" (Gen. iv. 27; see
          Beḥai's commentary, and Yalḳuṭ, Reubeni, ad loc.)."

          Seems like a jolly bloke.

          http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/view.jsp?artid=245&letter=D

          Also, in full agreement:
          The "Sefer ha-Yashar" (l.c.) and Gen. R. (xxii. 4) both agree that
          Noah's wife was called Naamah. According to the latter, she was the
          sister of Tubal-cain (Gen. iv. 21); according to the former, she was a
          daughter of Enoch, and Noah married her when he was 498 years old. In
          the Book of Jubilees (Hebr. transl. by Rubin, iv. 46-47) Noah's wife
          is referred to as "Emẓara, daughter of Raḳi'el."
          http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/view.jsp?artid=318&letter=N&search=noah

          Best regards,
          Charles Hintz,Ph.D.

          --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, David Lorton <davidlorton@...> wrote:

          > At the end of this dreary week, what a pleasure it was to read Yigal
          Levin's posting.

          > Does anyone know of any other examples of "assumptions" somehow
          becoming "facts"?

          > David Lorton
          > Baltimore, MD

          have been a worker of coper and iron. The Kenites, who are never
          actually described as such in the Bible, are assumed to have been
          "decsended" from this Tubal-Cain ("Cain" and "Kene" are spelled the
          same in Hebrew). I'm not sure who first came up with this theory, but
          it's a great example of how a totally unbaised assumption becomes
          "common knowledge" which is then cited as "fact".

          > >You might want to take a look at I. Kalimi, "Three Assumptions
          about the Kenites", ZAW 100,3 (1988) 386-393.