Re: [ANE-2] Kenites

  • David Lorton
    Message 1 of 9 , May 3 10:16 PM
      At the end of this dreary week, what a pleasure it was to read Yigal Levin's posting.

      Does anyone know of any other examples of "assumptions" somehow becoming "facts"?

      David Lorton
      Baltimore, MD

      Message 2 of 9 , May 3 11:39 PM
        Just as a general tip for researchers: It seems like many list members are unaware of the great value of the IAA's Rockefeller Library database in searching for references. Not only are books noted in this database but also articles, and references within articles. For example, for 'Kenites' there are five references.

        To access this database, just go into the IAA website, click on library--search--and then choose according to author, title, or, in the case of Kenites or archaeological sites or whatever, subject. You can do this in English or Hebrew (I'm not sure how the Hebrew appears if you don't have Windows Hebrew enabled).

        The link is http://libantiquities.exlibris.co.il/F

        Happy reference searching,

        Sam Wolff
        Jerusalem

        Gene Greenwood wrote:

        Lately I have come across several unreferenced references to the Kenites (Jethro et al) as metalsmiths. Do any of you have any referenced references to this identification.

      • Yigal Levin
        Message 3 of 9 , May 4 1:26 AM
          Thnaks. Intersting, that for "Kenites" you get a totally different selection on RAMBI:
          http://aleph1.libnet.ac.il/F/AVD5M9CLJD7A35RE54RD1KMH7848H2U3R6QJIQJ9AR392D6792-01221?func=find-acc&acc_sequence=000112413

          Anothe great tool, with which some may not be familiar.

          Yigal Levin

          Message 4 of 9 , May 20 3:06 PM
            Under: "King and Queen of Demons"

            "...a third queen of the demons and wife of Samael, "Na'amah," the
            sister of Tubal Cain and the "mother of Ashmodai" (Gen. iv. 27; see
            Beḥai's commentary, and Yalḳuṭ, Reubeni, ad loc.)."

            Seems like a jolly bloke.

            http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/view.jsp?artid=245&letter=D

            Also, in full agreement:
            The "Sefer ha-Yashar" (l.c.) and Gen. R. (xxii. 4) both agree that
            Noah's wife was called Naamah. According to the latter, she was the
            sister of Tubal-cain (Gen. iv. 21); according to the former, she was a
            daughter of Enoch, and Noah married her when he was 498 years old. In
            the Book of Jubilees (Hebr. transl. by Rubin, iv. 46-47) Noah's wife
            is referred to as "Emẓara, daughter of Raḳi'el."
            http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/view.jsp?artid=318&letter=N&search=noah

            Best regards,
            Charles Hintz,Ph.D.