Re: [ANE-2] Kenites

  • Yigal Levin
    Message 1 of 9 , May 3, 2008
      Dear Gene,

      The source of this is Gen. 4:22, in which Tubal-Cain is reported to have been a worker of coper and iron. The Kenites, who are never actually described as such in the Bible, are assumed to have been "decsended" from this Tubal-Cain ("Cain" and "Kene" are spelled the same in Hebrew). I'm not sure who first came up with this theory, but it's a great example of how a totally unbaised assumption becomes "common knowledge" which is then cited as "fact".

      You might want to take a look at I. Kalimi, "Three Assumptions about the Kenites", ZAW 100,3 (1988) 386-393.

      Yigal Levin
      Message 2 of 9 , May 3, 2008
        I forget whether it was in a collection of Albright's essays or those of Albrecht Alt that there is some mention of this.� Come to think of it, it might even have been in a collection of Cyrus Gordon's essays.
        I would suggest checking
        Albright:�� _From the Stone Age to Christianity_
        Alt:��������� �_Essays on Old Testament History and Religion_
        Gordon:���� _Before the Bible_
        ��������������� _Bible and the Ancient Near East_
        �george
        gfsomsel

        � search for truth, hear truth,
        defend the truth till death.

        - Jan Hus
        _________

        Message 3 of 9 , May 3, 2008
          Dear All,
          The other side of the equation is JAramaic QaYNa'a/smith,'
          QaYNaYa in Syriac (for both, passages in Targum/Peshitta)
          and Arabic QaYNun=smith
          The equation is already there in many 19th century commentaries
          and the BDB.
          Best regards
          Frank Polak

          On May 4, 2008, at 12:02 AM, Yigal Levin wrote:

          > Dear Gene,
          >
          > The source of this is Gen. 4:22, in which Tubal-Cain is reported to
          > have been a worker of coper and iron. The Kenites, who are never
          > actually described as such in the Bible, are assumed to have been
          > "decsended" from this Tubal-Cain ("Cain" and "Kene" are spelled the
          > same in Hebrew). I'm not sure who first came up with this theory,
          > but it's a great example of how a totally unbaised assumption
          > becomes "common knowledge" which is then cited as "fact".
          >
          > You might want to take a look at I. Kalimi, "Three Assumptions
          > about the Kenites", ZAW 100,3 (1988) 386-393.
          >
          > Yigal Levin

        • David Lorton
          Message 4 of 9 , May 3, 2008
            At the end of this dreary week, what a pleasure it was to read Yigal Levin's posting.

            Does anyone know of any other examples of "assumptions" somehow becoming "facts"?

            David Lorton
            Baltimore, MD

            >The source of this is Gen. 4:22, in which Tubal-Cain is reported to have been a worker of coper and iron. The Kenites, who are never actually described as such in the Bible, are assumed to have been "decsended" from this Tubal-Cain ("Cain" and "Kene" are spelled the same in Hebrew). I'm not sure who first came up with this theory, but it's a great example of how a totally unbaised assumption becomes "common knowledge" which is then cited as "fact".
            >
            >You might want to take a look at I. Kalimi, "Three Assumptions about the Kenites", ZAW 100,3 (1988) 386-393.
            >

            >Yigal Levin

            \
          • Sam WOLFF
            Message 5 of 9 , May 3, 2008
              Just as a general tip for researchers: It seems like many list members are unaware of the great value of the IAA's Rockefeller Library database in searching for references. Not only are books noted in this database but also articles, and references within articles. For example, for 'Kenites' there are five references.

              To access this database, just go into the IAA website, click on library--search--and then choose according to author, title, or, in the case of Kenites or archaeological sites or whatever, subject. You can do this in English or Hebrew (I'm not sure how the Hebrew appears if you don't have Windows Hebrew enabled).

              The link is http://libantiquities.exlibris.co.il/F

              Happy reference searching,

              Sam Wolff
              Jerusalem

              Message 6 of 9 , May 4, 2008
                Thnaks. Intersting, that for "Kenites" you get a totally different selection on RAMBI:
                http://aleph1.libnet.ac.il/F/AVD5M9CLJD7A35RE54RD1KMH7848H2U3R6QJIQJ9AR392D6792-01221?func=find-acc&acc_sequence=000112413

                Anothe great tool, with which some may not be familiar.

                Yigal Levin

                Message 7 of 9 , May 20, 2008
                  Under: "King and Queen of Demons"

                  "...a third queen of the demons and wife of Samael, "Na'amah," the
                  sister of Tubal Cain and the "mother of Ashmodai" (Gen. iv. 27; see
                  Beḥai's commentary, and Yalḳuṭ, Reubeni, ad loc.)."

                  Seems like a jolly bloke.

                  http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/view.jsp?artid=245&letter=D

                  Also, in full agreement:
                  The "Sefer ha-Yashar" (l.c.) and Gen. R. (xxii. 4) both agree that
                  Noah's wife was called Naamah. According to the latter, she was the
                  sister of Tubal-cain (Gen. iv. 21); according to the former, she was a
                  daughter of Enoch, and Noah married her when he was 498 years old. In
                  the Book of Jubilees (Hebr. transl. by Rubin, iv. 46-47) Noah's wife
                  is referred to as "Emẓara, daughter of Raḳi'el."
                  http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/view.jsp?artid=318&letter=N&search=noah

                  Best regards,
                  Charles Hintz,Ph.D.