Re: [ANE-2] Kenites

  • Yigal Levin
    Message 1 of 9 , May 3, 2008
      Dear Gene,

      The source of this is Gen. 4:22, in which Tubal-Cain is reported to have been a worker of coper and iron. The Kenites, who are never actually described as such in the Bible, are assumed to have been "decsended" from this Tubal-Cain ("Cain" and "Kene" are spelled the same in Hebrew). I'm not sure who first came up with this theory, but it's a great example of how a totally unbaised assumption becomes "common knowledge" which is then cited as "fact".

      You might want to take a look at I. Kalimi, "Three Assumptions about the Kenites", ZAW 100,3 (1988) 386-393.

      Yigal Levin
      Message 2 of 9 , May 3, 2008
        Gene:

        I have a soon to be published article on the subject. Send me an email to my
        work address (see address below), and I'll forward it when I get to the
        office on Monday.

        Thanks,

        Kent Sparks

        Professor of Hebrew Bible

        Eastern University

        ksparks@...

        Message 3 of 9 , May 3, 2008
          I forget whether it was in a collection of Albright's essays or those of Albrecht Alt that there is some mention of this.� Come to think of it, it might even have been in a collection of Cyrus Gordon's essays.
          I would suggest checking
          Albright:�� _From the Stone Age to Christianity_
          Alt:��������� �_Essays on Old Testament History and Religion_
          Gordon:���� _Before the Bible_
          ��������������� _Bible and the Ancient Near East_
          �george
          gfsomsel

          � search for truth, hear truth,
          defend the truth till death.

          - Jan Hus
          _________

          Message 4 of 9 , May 3, 2008
            Dear All,
            The other side of the equation is JAramaic QaYNa'a/smith,'
            QaYNaYa in Syriac (for both, passages in Targum/Peshitta)
            and Arabic QaYNun=smith
            The equation is already there in many 19th century commentaries
            and the BDB.
            Best regards
            Frank Polak

            On May 4, 2008, at 12:02 AM, Yigal Levin wrote:

            > Dear Gene,
            >
            > The source of this is Gen. 4:22, in which Tubal-Cain is reported to
            > have been a worker of coper and iron. The Kenites, who are never
            > actually described as such in the Bible, are assumed to have been
            > "decsended" from this Tubal-Cain ("Cain" and "Kene" are spelled the
            > same in Hebrew). I'm not sure who first came up with this theory,
            > but it's a great example of how a totally unbaised assumption
            > becomes "common knowledge" which is then cited as "fact".
            >
            > You might want to take a look at I. Kalimi, "Three Assumptions
            > about the Kenites", ZAW 100,3 (1988) 386-393.
            >
            > Yigal Levin

          • David Lorton
            Message 5 of 9 , May 3, 2008
              At the end of this dreary week, what a pleasure it was to read Yigal Levin's posting.

              Does anyone know of any other examples of "assumptions" somehow becoming "facts"?

              David Lorton
              Baltimore, MD

              >The source of this is Gen. 4:22, in which Tubal-Cain is reported to have been a worker of coper and iron. The Kenites, who are never actually described as such in the Bible, are assumed to have been "decsended" from this Tubal-Cain ("Cain" and "Kene" are spelled the same in Hebrew). I'm not sure who first came up with this theory, but it's a great example of how a totally unbaised assumption becomes "common knowledge" which is then cited as "fact".
              >
              >You might want to take a look at I. Kalimi, "Three Assumptions about the Kenites", ZAW 100,3 (1988) 386-393.
              >

              >Yigal Levin

              \
            • Sam WOLFF
              Message 6 of 9 , May 3, 2008
                Just as a general tip for researchers: It seems like many list members are unaware of the great value of the IAA's Rockefeller Library database in searching for references. Not only are books noted in this database but also articles, and references within articles. For example, for 'Kenites' there are five references.

                To access this database, just go into the IAA website, click on library--search--and then choose according to author, title, or, in the case of Kenites or archaeological sites or whatever, subject. You can do this in English or Hebrew (I'm not sure how the Hebrew appears if you don't have Windows Hebrew enabled).

                The link is http://libantiquities.exlibris.co.il/F

                Happy reference searching,

                Sam Wolff
                Jerusalem

                Message 7 of 9 , May 4, 2008
                  Thnaks. Intersting, that for "Kenites" you get a totally different selection on RAMBI:
                  http://aleph1.libnet.ac.il/F/AVD5M9CLJD7A35RE54RD1KMH7848H2U3R6QJIQJ9AR392D6792-01221?func=find-acc&acc_sequence=000112413

                  Anothe great tool, with which some may not be familiar.

                  Yigal Levin

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 20, 2008
                    Under: "King and Queen of Demons"

                    "...a third queen of the demons and wife of Samael, "Na'amah," the
                    sister of Tubal Cain and the "mother of Ashmodai" (Gen. iv. 27; see
                    Beḥai's commentary, and Yalḳuṭ, Reubeni, ad loc.)."

                    Seems like a jolly bloke.

                    http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/view.jsp?artid=245&letter=D

                    Also, in full agreement:
                    The "Sefer ha-Yashar" (l.c.) and Gen. R. (xxii. 4) both agree that
                    Noah's wife was called Naamah. According to the latter, she was the
                    sister of Tubal-cain (Gen. iv. 21); according to the former, she was a
                    daughter of Enoch, and Noah married her when he was 498 years old. In
                    the Book of Jubilees (Hebr. transl. by Rubin, iv. 46-47) Noah's wife
                    is referred to as "Emẓara, daughter of Raḳi'el."
                    http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/view.jsp?artid=318&letter=N&search=noah

                    Best regards,
                    Charles Hintz,Ph.D.