Sanford Holst's Phoenicians: Lebanon's Epic Heritage

  • Doug Weller
    Message 1 of 3 , May 2, 2008
      Hi,

      Has anyone heard of this author or book? His other books seem New
      Age, his publisher (Sierra Press) has published only his books so
      he seems selfpublished. He's presented some papers to the World
      Historical Association, and that's about all I know about him. The
      reviews on Amazon.com don't sound good.

      And what would people recommend on the Phoenicians?
      Thanks
      Doug Weller

      --
      Doug Weller Moderator, sci.archaeology.moderated
      Director and Moderator The Hall of Ma'at http://www.hallofmaat.com
      Message 2 of 3 , May 3, 2008
        I haven't read Holst, but it seems to be fairly popular fare (which is not necessarily bad, if thats what you're looking for). If its a general reliable intro in English that you're looking for, the standards are Glenn Markoe, The Phoenicians (the most recent); Donald Harden, The Phoenicians; and Sabatino Moscati, World of the Phoenicians. If its someting more specific that you're after, let me/us know and I'll/we'll try to help you out.

        Sam Wolff
        Jerusalem

        Message 3 of 3 , May 4, 2008
          Hi ANE-2,

          Sunday, May 4, 2008, 7:56:26 AM, you wrote:

          > I haven't read Holst, but it seems to be fairly popular fare (which
          > is not necessarily bad, if thats what you're looking for). If its a
          > general reliable intro in English that you're looking for, the
          > standards are Glenn Markoe, The Phoenicians (the most recent);
          > Donald Harden, The Phoenicians; and Sabatino Moscati, World of the
          > Phoenicians. If its someting more specific that you're after, let
          > me/us know and I'll/we'll try to help you out.

          Thanks. The reviews on Amazon.com and the fact that Holst's other
          books look New Age and all are apparently self-published have put me
          off him.

          Doug