Skip to search.

Re: [ANE-2] Aramaic at Behistun

  • victor avigdor hurowitz
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2008
      Aramaic? That would have been nice. The Aramaic version of Behistun was
      found at Elephantine. At Behistun itself there were Persian, Elamite and
      Babylonian.
      Victor Hurowitz
      BGU

      On Fri, 2 May 2008, George Athas wrote:

      > Darius' inscription at Behistun is written in a number of languages.
      > Can someone tell me whether these were all inscribed at roughly the
      > same time? I'm particularly interested in when the Aramaic version was
      > inscribed in the rock in comparison to the Persian version.
      >
      > Best Regards,
      > GEORGE ATHAS
      > Moore Theological College (Sydney)
      > 1 King St, Newtown 2042, Australia
      > Ph: (+61 2) 9577 9774. Mob: 0449 758 100
      > www.moore.edu.au <http://www.moore.edu.au/>

    • jimw wagner
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2008
        Do you have a reference for the Aramaic version at Elephantine?

        Just curious, as Aramaic is one of the languages I've studied to some
        extent.

        Jim Wagner
        Saskatoon, SK

        victor avigdor hurowitz wrote:
        > Aramaic? That would have been nice. The Aramaic version of Behistun was
        > found at Elephantine. At Behistun itself there were Persian, Elamite and
        > Babylonian.
        > Victor Hurowitz
        > BGU
        >

        > On Fri, 2 May 2008, George Athas wrote:
        >

        >> Darius' inscription at Behistun is written in a number of languages.
        >> Can someone tell me whether these were all inscribed at roughly the
        >> same time? I'm particularly interested in when the Aramaic version was
        >> inscribed in the rock in comparison to the Persian version.
        >>
        >> Best Regards,
        >> GEORGE ATHAS
        >> Moore Theological College (Sydney)
        >> 1 King St, Newtown 2042, Australia
        >> Ph: (+61 2) 9577 9774. Mob: 0449 758 100
        >> www.moore.edu.au <http://www.moore.edu.au/>

      • victor
        Message 3 of 6 , May 1, 2008
          I don't have it off hand, but I'm sure you can find it in the Porten-Yardeni
          corpus of Elephantine texts, one volume of which contains literary texts.
          Also, I seem to remember that Jonas Greenfield published an edition.

          Victor Hurowitz

          BGU

          _____

        • cejo@uchicago.edu
          Message 4 of 6 , May 1, 2008
            Greenfield, Jonas and Porten, Bezalel
            The Bisitun Inscription of Darius the Great, Aramaic Version
            Corpus Inscriptionum Iranicarum, I. Inscriptions of Ancient Iran, V. The Aramaic Versions of the Achaemenian Inscriptions, etc.,
            Texts, I.
            London: Lund Humphries, 1982.

            -Chuck Jones-
            Athens
          • George Athas
            Message 5 of 6 , May 2, 2008
              Thanks to all who replied -- you've solved my problem! It all makes
              perfect sense now. (I knew something wasn't right.)

              <http://www.moore.edu.au/> www.moore.edu.au