Aramaic at Behistun

  • George Athas
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2008
      Darius' inscription at Behistun is written in a number of languages.
      Can someone tell me whether these were all inscribed at roughly the
      same time? I'm particularly interested in when the Aramaic version was
      inscribed in the rock in comparison to the Persian version.

      Best Regards,
      GEORGE ATHAS
      Moore Theological College (Sydney)
      1 King St, Newtown 2042, Australia
      Ph: (+61 2) 9577 9774. Mob: 0449 758 100
      www.moore.edu.au <http://www.moore.edu.au/>

    • victor avigdor hurowitz
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2008
        Aramaic? That would have been nice. The Aramaic version of Behistun was
        found at Elephantine. At Behistun itself there were Persian, Elamite and
        Babylonian.
        Victor Hurowitz
        BGU

        On Fri, 2 May 2008, George Athas wrote:

        > Darius' inscription at Behistun is written in a number of languages.
        > Can someone tell me whether these were all inscribed at roughly the
        > same time? I'm particularly interested in when the Aramaic version was
        > inscribed in the rock in comparison to the Persian version.
        >
        > Best Regards,
        > GEORGE ATHAS
        > Moore Theological College (Sydney)
        > 1 King St, Newtown 2042, Australia
        > Ph: (+61 2) 9577 9774. Mob: 0449 758 100
        > www.moore.edu.au <http://www.moore.edu.au/>

      • jimw wagner
        Message 3 of 6 , May 1, 2008
          Do you have a reference for the Aramaic version at Elephantine?

          Just curious, as Aramaic is one of the languages I've studied to some
          extent.

          Jim Wagner
          Saskatoon, SK

          Message 4 of 6 , May 1, 2008
            I don't have it off hand, but I'm sure you can find it in the Porten-Yardeni
            corpus of Elephantine texts, one volume of which contains literary texts.
            Also, I seem to remember that Jonas Greenfield published an edition.

            Victor Hurowitz

            BGU

            _____

          • cejo@uchicago.edu
            Message 5 of 6 , May 1, 2008
              Greenfield, Jonas and Porten, Bezalel
              The Bisitun Inscription of Darius the Great, Aramaic Version
              Corpus Inscriptionum Iranicarum, I. Inscriptions of Ancient Iran, V. The Aramaic Versions of the Achaemenian Inscriptions, etc.,
              Texts, I.
              London: Lund Humphries, 1982.

              -Chuck Jones-
              Athens
            • George Athas
              Message 6 of 6 , May 2, 2008
                Thanks to all who replied -- you've solved my problem! It all makes
                perfect sense now. (I knew something wasn't right.)

                <http://www.moore.edu.au/> www.moore.edu.au