Ugaritic Flora

  • Christopher Conlan
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 22, 2008
      Dear All,

      I have been struggling to find adequate references to flora in Ugaritic...I am currently looking
      for the words for oak terebinth and pistachio, but have been unable to find them under their
      equivalent Akkadian and Biblical Hebrew roots in in del Olmo Lete.

      I was hoping that one of you might have some ideas as to whether they are attested, and if
      they are, how I can find them.

      Sincerely,

      Christopher Conlan
    • arenmaeir
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 23, 2008
        How about:

        Watson, W. 2004. A Botanical Snapshot of Ugarit. Trees, Fruit, Plants
        and Herbs in the Cuneiform Text. Aula Orientalis 22(1):107–55.

        Aren Maeir
        gath.wordpress.com
      • Garold Mills
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 23, 2008
          Hi,
          I have only arz, cedar/dprn, juniper/ zt, olive/ ksh, cassia/tisher,
          possibly oak?/tqd, almond.

          Garold Mills

          On 4/22/08 9:40 PM, "Christopher Conlan" <chris_conlan@...> wrote:

          > Dear All,
          >
          > I have been struggling to find adequate references to flora in Ugaritic...I am
          > currently looking
          > for the words for oak terebinth and pistachio, but have been unable to find
          > them under their
          > equivalent Akkadian and Biblical Hebrew roots in in del Olmo Lete.
          >
          > I was hoping that one of you might have some ideas as to whether they are
          > attested, and if
          > they are, how I can find them.
          >
          > Sincerely,
          >
          > Christopher Conlan

        • JPvdGiessen
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 30, 2008
            I've created a small list of Akkadian plants with Dutch translation, see:
            http://bijbelaantekeningen.blogspot.com/2008/04/akkadische-plantenlijst.html
            http://bijbelaantekeningen.blogspot.com/2008/04/akkadische-plantenlijst-2.html
            http://bijbelaantekeningen.blogspot.com/2008/04/akkadische-plantenlijst-3.html

            Jan Pieter van de Giessen
            Blog: http://bijbelaantekeningen.blogspot.com/

            --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher Conlan" <chris_conlan@...>
            wrote:

            > Dear All,
            >
            > I have been struggling to find adequate references to flora in
            Ugaritic...I am currently looking
            > for the words for oak terebinth and pistachio, but have been unable
            to find them under their
            > equivalent Akkadian and Biblical Hebrew roots in in del Olmo Lete.
            >
            > I was hoping that one of you might have some ideas as to whether
            they are attested, and if
            > they are, how I can find them.
            >
            > Sincerely,
            >
            > Christopher Conlan

          • Christopher Conlan
            Message 5 of 5 , May 2, 2008
              Aren,

              Thanks for info, this article turned out to be very useful! The article contains number of additions to those given by Sasson in 1972, including a root for terebinth.

              Christopher Conlan
              College Park, MD